PDA

View Full Version : Axis / Edge Stock Reinforcement Made Easy - Take II

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Mathias
11-04-2012, 05:16 PM
in fact, one could possibly add a second swivel stud in the front for a bipod, right? would the epoxy be enough to hold a second stud well enough for a bipod or sling?

fgw_in_fla
11-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the compliments, gents...

Mathias - I wouldn't depend on any adhesive to hold a swivel in place. I would use a good mechanical connection like nut, bolt & washer. The palstic is easy enough to drill thru to mount a 2nd swivel if needed.
You could always try drilling thru the epoxy & thru bolt right thru the whole kit-n-kaboodle...

There are epoxies available that can be drilled & tapped much like metal but when it comes to my rifle, I wouldn't take any chances.

Frank in Fla

Mathias
11-05-2012, 03:21 AM
Good to know, if I decide to rebarrel my axis to 308 ill likely do this... But I am also leaning toward buying a Stevens 200 in 308 instead, it'll be cheaper, but it won't have the heavy barrel I'm wanting. Thanks again for the walkthrough.

farmer44mag
12-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Has anyone actually had one of these stocks break from shooting- or were these broken guns abused in some way- dropped, rolled on, ext.?

I have not had to modify anything other than the trigger spring on my Axis's to get them to shoot great groups. Both will keep 3 shots under an inch at 100 yds with multiple brands of ammo. I don't plan on modifying my stocks- unless it is really neccesary for durability?

thirty06
12-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Farmer nobody said the stocks were breaking. The mods are to stop all the flexing.
If yours suits you the way it is you don't need to do anything to it.

farmer44mag
12-03-2012, 08:59 PM
One of the threads on this subject I was just reading said there were reports of these stocks breaking in the wrist area- that is what i am going by. Mine do flex but has caused no issues thus far so if they aren't breaking than i won't worry about it- great hunting guns!

fsr402
12-03-2012, 09:40 PM
One of the threads on this subject I was just reading said there were reports of these stocks breaking in the wrist area- that is what i am going by. Mine do flex but has caused no issues thus far so if they aren't breaking than i won't worry about it- great hunting guns!

The ones I have seen had to do with them being dropped. Mine flexes a bit but really not bad. Would not want to put a bi-pod on it though. My 270 gave me 2 inch groups at 275 yards with a 15mph cross wind. Works well enough for me.

CJnWy
12-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Hey Frank
You wouldnt happen to weigh the stock before and after? Just curios how much weight you added and how much it stiffened the stock?
I used a broken arrow shaft to put a couple of stiffeners in my Axis. I also cut 3.25" off the tip of the stock and moved the bipod stud back about that far. As luck would have it the carbon shafts i put in with the glue ended up weighing just about what I cut off=1.68lbs
Here is the funny part. I also weighed the gun set up the way I would hunt with it and the dang thing weighed over 10 lbs with Bipod,sling,ammo holder,ammo in clip and the 2lb IOR scope....It has since been put on a diet ;-)

fgw_in_fla
12-04-2012, 02:17 AM
I never really gave the additional weight any consideration. After I replace the toothpick barrel with a truck axle, add a little counterweight in the butt end of the stock so it doesn't nose-dive, a full load of ammo....

It weighs alot.

I wouldn't want to be running around the jungle with it strapped to my back. Now, I did set up a newer Stevens action with a .308 barrel & a stock from a 116 with aluminum rods. I think it's around 7 to 8lbs.
Not too terribly bad.

I 'spose I'll set a couple of the fat barrel rifles on a scale to get an idea of what the end result is. If I had to guess, I'd say around 11 - 12lbs +.

Long day. i gotta go check my eyelids for cracks on the inside. Later.
Frank in FLa

stingray
12-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Frank...Great instruction on the mod. Thanks

fgw_in_fla
12-10-2012, 08:40 PM
I didn't think this was still in circulation.....

Glad to help. For what it's worth, it does make a difference if you shoot off a bipod. All my rifles have bipods & they do flex to the point of the stock putting pressure on the barrel without the reinforcement. Also, if you go to a fat barrel, you'll be taking away from the stock to fit the barrel in the channel. The reinforcement helps there. It'll get you by until you have an extra $800 for that new Manners you've been eyeballing.

Enjoy!
Frank in Fla

Ron Smith
12-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Frank, I followed your instructions to reinforce the forend of my stock. I must say it was easier than I thought, I used a .250 rod and after the epoxy cured and I reinstalled the barreled action, the rifle was a little nose heavy. So I decided to add some weight to the butt because once I replace the stock barrel with my new 26" heavy varmint barrel it will really tilt forward. So I removed the Savage emblem on the bottom of the pistol grip and filled the stock 90% with sand and then used some expanding foam to seal it in. With a little hot melt glue I resealed the cap on the bottom of the grip. It did add a pound or two to the gun but it is now better balanced for some prone and bench work. Can't wait for nicer weather to put a few rounds through it. Well, wouldn't you know it, I have to take it apart again I just received my Rifle Basix trigger, I will let you know how the install goes. Thanks for posting your stock work.

fgw_in_fla
12-19-2012, 09:47 PM
I know exactly what you'e talking about. I put a 26" varmint barrel on one of mine. When I set it on the table it pivoted on the bipod by itself. I epoxied a super heavy duty door hinge in the stock. The kind of hinge you'd find on a steel fire door.

Worked like a charm. But ya know, It stabilizes the rifle nicely if you shoot from a bench. I don't think I'd like to run around the woods with it strapped to my back.
If does settle it down quite a bit. I can watch the shot thru the scope on my .243 because of the weight.

Glad to know it works for you. Happy shooting & don't forget....
You'll be required to post a few targets after you find out what ammo it likes.
Have a Merry and a Happy.
Frank in FLa

Ron Smith
12-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Frank, as soon as I get my barrel vise and action wrench I will be changing out the original 223 REM to my new 20 Practical. I plan to cut the original barrel down to 16.5" and thread it for a break and can

smitty273
12-26-2012, 10:42 PM
How much space do you need around the barrel to make sure it is free floating?

Ron Smith
12-26-2012, 11:12 PM
I would say about the thickness of a business card so it is not putting pressure on any point of the barrel. I think it's got something to do with the harmonics of the barrel as the bullet passes through it like using a tuning fork when tuning a piano.

fgw_in_fla
12-27-2012, 12:43 AM
On the average, fold a sheet of paper in half.... SOme guys use a dollar bill....
I like a little breathing room so a folded business card works for me.

If you have a bipod on your rifle & you apply a little forward pressure to it you may need that space to keep from pushing the barrel against the stock.

pisgah
01-21-2013, 07:28 PM
I have Great Stuff-ed the butt of my Axis .270, and done the triggerguard-area reinforcement. So far my style of shooting has not been handicapped by the flexible forend, and I REALLY like the light weight when out tromping the woods. But, the mod is certainly food for thought.

CJnWy
01-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Pisgah
I did just what Frank explained exept I used pieces of light arrow shaft instead of the steel rods,cut 3" off the end of the stock and moved the bipod stud back a little. It really helped when shooting off the bipods and did not increase the weight at all......Preaty it aint but I might great stuff the space between the barrel and stock yet to help seal off the front that was cut down??

ShowMeShooter
01-21-2013, 10:06 PM
nice write up! I'll be doing this to my Axis very soon.:thumb: