PDA

View Full Version : Axis / Edge Stock Reinforcement Made Easy - Take II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

savagemann
10-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Has anybody tried flat aluminum bar stock with it's width standing up vertically running through the fore end?
Or possibly some v channel or i beam aluminum stock?
Also, using micro balloon fillers mixed into the epoxy to lighten the epoxy up and make it stronger?
Or possibly using fiberglass filler fibers mixed into the epoxy?
I have an axis SR on the way and am toying around with the idea of doing some combination of the above.

thermaler
10-26-2014, 01:42 PM
I'm a firm beliver in keeping things as simple and cheap as possible. I recently bought a Ruger American and it too has a "plasti-fleximatic." although the power-bed pillars take the concept to the next level IMO. I've done about a half dozen of these things and have discovered that in all cases the following procedure work (and yield better accuracy):

1 Take a simple grinder and widen the forearm channel so that both sides will not touch the barrel when the rifle's weight is rested on the forearm. I used to put bars, rods etc. Guess what--not necessary.

2 Fill the forearm chambers with any good epoxy--I prefer RC 11 marinetex.

3. Remove buttpad and fill butt part of stock with envirotex. Turn stock vertically and allow to cure for 48 hours before putting buttpad back on. Needless to say--this is a rather permanent solution for the stock, but it works for me and I've found that there is a decent amount of flex in that area as well.

DrThunder88
10-27-2014, 02:52 AM
I used 4:1 epoxy and microbaloons to fill the void in my rifle's buttstock. The balloons don't really make it stronger so much as they increase the volume. I filled the wrist area of the buttstock with epoxy and chopped fiberglass, but it still feels a bit flexible.

I thought of laying up some fiberglass fabric over the wrist using epoxy like I did on the forearm, but the contours were too complex for me.

Mitchbcs
02-09-2015, 01:35 AM
Saving for later

Gohring3006
02-15-2015, 07:24 PM
I have a question. Did savage change there stocks in the forearm area for the heavy barrel versions? My cross weave pattern is x shaped not strait across..

TXCOONDOG
02-19-2015, 07:13 PM
I have a question. Did savage change there stocks in the forearm area for the heavy barrel versions? My cross weave pattern is x shaped not strait across..

Does it seem stiffer ?