PDA

View Full Version : Axis / Edge Stock Reinforcement Made Easy - Take II

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

FL_hunter
01-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Ok, so I had the day off and plenty of free time and after some southern ingenuity I have the stock back together.

Here is a teaser
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/03/va2a2uqy.jpg

fgw_in_fla
01-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Clean your toe nails.

Did you use a piece of steel rod in the "area in question"?

Otherwise it resembles an Axis again instead of something you'd use to stick up a 7-11...

PS - Where'd you get that bolt handle from?

FL_hunter
01-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Yes I used threaded steel rod around the in hopes the threads would hold more bite and keep it together.

I ordered the knob off of ebay a while back

n4ue
01-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Clean your toe nails.

Did you use a piece of steel rod in the "area in question"?

Otherwise it resembles an Axis again instead of something you'd use to stick up a 7-11...

PS - Where'd you get that bolt handle from?

Hi Frank. Man, it been too cold to shoot recently.
I have reinforced several Axis stocks, but reading your excellent post, I loved the idea of drilling the wall forward of the recoil lug. Not to try to out do you (ha ha), I just completed another stock.
The only thing I did differently was:
1. Used the bar stock bent and pointed, heated with a propane torch, instead of a drill. Also used it to melt the cross walls. Plus a few small holes in the center channel to give the resin a place to grip.
2. Used Bondo liquid fiberglass resin instead of epoxy. Much easier to mix and pour from a paper cup.

Keep up the great posts (with your sense of humor!)

Folks should remember to clean the inside of the stockwith a good solvent to remove the mold release, in addition to roughing up the inside.

ron

fgw_in_fla
01-05-2014, 02:12 PM
I've mentioned a few times on here...
If you have a better / stronger way to make it happen, don't keep it to yourself.
Share the wealth.

I'll have to try that next time. Sounds a whole lot easier than drill & glue.

Too cold to shoot???
I just got home from our swamp. My feet hurt from hiking, all my rifles need cleaning, I have to make more ammo to replace what we used, fishing poles need to be cleaned & stowed, boots are wet from stomping thru the swamp, tired, dirty,.... Shall I go on?

I love winter in Fla.

LoneWolf
01-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Must be nice to be retired and have to make work in order to have something to do! Lol!

fgw_in_fla
01-05-2014, 02:41 PM
Must be nice to be retired and have to make work in order to have something to do! Lol!

Hey sarge...
I assure you, with 2 of the grandkids with us & teaching them shooting, fishing, hiking without getting too lost, cooking with fire & all the other important stuff essential for a fun / safe time. I'd rather be working.
It's less stress.
By the way, got a pics of the area to put up later.
As soon as I find the camera.

bnizzel2000
01-09-2014, 05:22 PM
i just did this to my stock today and i must say wow it helps alot. thanks for the idea. but instead of using great stuff in the stock bc mine wouldn't dry i filled the whole in the end at the end of the stock where the trigger cover goes in, i filled that in with epoxy then i filled the stock up with sand and packed it tight, added the weight i wanted and should help with he recoil.. i also ported the barrel so thats another thing i did to

axis1
02-06-2014, 11:52 PM
Have you ever thought about a video?

fgw_in_fla
02-07-2014, 12:32 AM
Have you ever thought about a video?

Yeah, thought about it but, I'm the least computer knowledgeable guy you'll meet. I hate cell phones, I-pads, computers, digital cameras, garage door openers.... For me to get pictures from a camera I hate into a laptop I hate even more & posted was quite an accomplishment for me.

Besides, modifying these stocks is a pretty cut & dried process. So easy, an Axis owner can do it. The extra reinforcement will help a lot if you shoot from a bipod & will help while you shop and / or save for a upgrade stock.

Slickrock
02-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Hey guys,
I searched the thread and didn't have any luck. Maybe I'm not using the right key word search.

i need to remove the butt pad to fill/strengthen the stock. I just looked and there aren't screws so I figure there are some type of clips holding the pad on? Can someone walk me through removing the pad so I can reinstall it without damaging it?

thermaler
03-01-2014, 03:13 AM
The swivel stud in the bottom acts as a screw and there is a slot tab on the top which locks it into place. Be careful with the slot tab--it's easy to break (I've broken all of mine).

Slickrock
03-01-2014, 01:05 PM
The swivel stud in the bottom acts as a screw and there is a slot tab on the top which locks it into place. Be careful with the slot tab--it's easy to break (I've broken all of mine).
Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

grimreaper
04-18-2014, 05:16 PM
hi just want to know would using this product work any better then the epoxy stuff
http://www.selleys.com.au/trade/building-products/construction-adhesives/liquid-nails-high-strength/

FW Conch
04-19-2014, 08:46 PM
No ;-))

pinsnscrews
04-29-2014, 03:44 PM
hi just want to know would using this product work any better then the epoxy stuff
http://www.selleys.com.au/trade/building-products/construction-adhesives/liquid-nails-high-strength/

Liquid Nails is a premium grade, solvent based, synthetic rubbermultipurpose construction adhesive

Rubber as in "Flexible" . It is by nature, designed to allow dissimilar construction materials to expand and contract individually without shearing away from each other. The other issue that crops up, it does not dry/Cure properly in thick layers. You would need to apply many thin layers and allow each to cure before applying the next layer.

fgw_in_fla
04-29-2014, 05:54 PM
AND....
If you fill the stock with it (Liquid Nail) and close it up it'll never harden hence, if you ever open it up, you will have a mess to contend with...

Don't ask me how I know this. Just take it for granted.

drybean
04-29-2014, 07:55 PM
AND....
If you fill the stock with it (Liquid Nail) and close it up it'll never harden hence, if you ever open it up, you will have a mess to contend with...

Don't ask me how I know this. Just take it for granted.

I am thinking I Know

Drybean

fgw_in_fla
04-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Some of us learn by trial and error.

Some of us just can't be learned nuthin'....

drybean
04-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Some of us learn by trial and error.

Some of us just can't be learned nuthin'....

Yep, I came from both schools