PDA

View Full Version : Savage intermediate action?

tacticalj
10-24-2012, 05:45 PM
So I bought this action from another forum and I got it today. It's supposed to be an intermediate action, but with a tape measure, it appears to be very close to the 4.40 short action. I can't find my calipers at the moment, so I can't get much further than that on the measurements. My question is did the 4.40 centerfeed ever come out with a box mag attached and a non-accutrigger? I know the trigger could probably have been changed out, but I'm curious as to how I am going to determine which it is, so that I can get a stock ordered? I'm hoping that it would be the 4.40 centerfeed, but I'm thinking not because of the trigger and mag box. Anyhow when I measure it with a tape measure, I get just about 4 and 7/16, or just under 4.5". The intermediate measures 4.56" from what I can tell from my online research. What say you? Thanks, Jason

tacticalj
10-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Well never mind, I finally found my calipers and it's an intermediate action. With that said, does anybody know where to get a stock, preferably a "Tactical style" stock. I know Boyds has a laminate typical hunting type stock, but I'm hoping for something different. Maybe I should email Kevin Rayhill and see what he can do for me. Thanks, Jason

Also on a quick note, since I'm short on time, can anybody tell me if a 308 and 270 have the same bolt head diameter? I'm thinking they do, but then I got to thinking that the 270 and 30/06 may be the same instead. Brainstorming. Thanks, Jason

Blue Avenger
10-24-2012, 06:11 PM
I have dremeled out the pillar and moved it forward in short action stocks. Do most of your cutting to the front as that is the way your moving.

I think Kevin is set up to make one.

1ShotKing
10-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Well never mind, I finally found my calipers and it's an intermediate action. With that said, does anybody know where to get a stock, preferably a "Tactical style" stock. I know Boyds has a laminate typical hunting type stock, but I'm hoping for something different. Maybe I should email Kevin Rayhill and see what he can do for me. Thanks, Jason

Also on a quick note, since I'm short on time, can anybody tell me if a 308 and 270 have the same bolt head diameter? I'm thinking they do, but then I got to thinking that the 270 and 30/06 may be the same instead. Brainstorming. Thanks, Jason

They are all the same.

1ShotKing

rjtfroggy
10-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Blue is right on for a quick fix.
Fit a dowel and epoxy it in place then after a few days of drying(cure time) measure it then drill out and epoxy in a pillar. Doing it this way almost any 4.4 stock should work.

tacticalj
10-25-2012, 06:37 AM
That's pretty much what I was thinking, since it's only a little more than a 10th of an inch or maybe 2. Anyhow, I'm looking at experimenting with a cheap stock and then maybe trying it on one that I want to run. I need to measure to make sure the recoil lug is in the same spot, but I'm pretty sure it will be. Thanks fellas.

Jeff518
10-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Doesn't Boyd's still make 4.5" stocks?

Slenk
10-25-2012, 09:20 AM
Yes they do

Blue Avenger
10-25-2012, 10:19 AM
I need to measure to make sure the recoil lug is in the same spot, but I'm pretty sure it will be. Thanks fellas.

Its not. You will have to bed a new spot for it when you glass in the pillar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/savage1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/savage2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/savage3.jpg

tacticalj
10-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Yeah that's what I figured. I may just get the boyds and do that instead. I've still got to talk with Kevin and see if he can do the prairie dog stock in that configuration. Thanks