PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: .22 bolt (repeater) versus semi-auto

knickia
08-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Queston, not sure if anyone has measured this, but
how much velocity (and consistency) is lost in a semi auto vs a bolt ?

I hacked up my beloved marlin 60 for my daughter, and was thinking if i get to replace it either another (or savage )

but thought a bolt might be more accurate, also it wouldn't hurt me to work a bolt action more. i recently got a 308 stevens 200. I am new(ish) to bolt cycling. While i have always had a single shot remington, i did all my hunting with a semi-auto 22, and a browning BLR (lever)..

anyway, back to the question, i know i'll loose some utility, but would i gain any accuracy or range ?

brianinca
08-14-2008, 02:37 AM
A well setup 22LR semi-auto won't lose anything to a well-setup bolt gun, in any kind of $$ equivalent environment. Having said that, I bought my boys (at ages 7 and 4) a Henry Mini Bolt and a pair of Romanian 1969 22 LR Trainers (bolt guns) to teach them marksmanship with rifles.

I personally won't buy another semi-auto rimfire rifle. I think that getting the mechanics and kinesthetics of an adult sized 22LR bolt gun down pat gives you a skillset portable to virtually any serious centerfire rifle.

I see a LOT of Savage bolt and semi-auto 22LR/17HMR/17M2 rifles at our club range. Given the popularity of the Ruger 10/22 series (I have one) I'm surprised at how much more often I see Savages, esp considering the local chains don't stock them. Some of them are owned by "the old guys" that spend a LOT of money on guns but VERY carefully. Some are owned by folks that have had other 22 rifles previously.

I've yet to see a Savage that is someone's "first gun." This tells me that the folks buying them are serious enough about shooting to A) go to the range and practice and B) do enough research to find the best gun for the money. A good friend of mine tracked down and paid top dollar for a left hand 17HMR Savage bolt gun, when he had a perfectly good stainless 10/22. He wanted to get serious about his rifle shooting and knew enough to find a Savage bolt gun.

I hope this helps inform your decision.

Regards,
Brian in CA

forger
09-07-2008, 08:16 PM
I agree with brian..
Some years ago, I saw a test run that showed any loss to be negligible. There was about the same small variation between rifle despite
the type of action Sometimes the auto gave better velocity, sometimes the bolt, lever..whatever..
Barrel length can make some difference 16" optimal for velocity, but up to 20" only loses about 5 fps..a 24" may drop you 15-20 fps.

rangerruck
09-08-2008, 11:19 AM
no, if we are talking about fps, remember a semiauto doesn't start to open the bolt, until the bullet is all the way to the muzzle, because it needs a bit of pressure drop, before it unlocks.

baseballj1j
12-07-2009, 02:00 AM
for the amount of cleaning and parts, the bolt action is easier, safer(when not in use u can easily remove the bolt for saftey) if u want a semi auto 22 just buy a ar15 at a gun show, makes more sense to me.All the options with an Ar thats the next gun im gonna buy at the next gun show, my buddy bought one with a .22 barrel for 300 bucks at a show. Shops are expensive.