PDA

View Full Version : need help!!

Savage13
10-23-2012, 07:40 PM
I picked up a 111 BG (blued barrel 22" grey laminate stock 1-10 twist) in .257 Roberts a lil while ago. I put a Leupold VARI X 2 3-9x40 atop it and went to the range with some Hornady Custom 117gr Inter-bonds after getting it sighted in @ 25 yards to make sure I'm on paper I moved out to 100 yrds and was shooting about a 6-8" group (upper left hand quadrant of the target.) I assumed it was a problem with the scope as I am a decent shot with both my other savages. So I picked up a Cabela's Alpha Series scope 3-12x40. Went out today with the same ammo similar conditions and made SURE multiple times that EVERYTHING was tight (bases rings action screws sling studs) was shooting (both times) prone with bi-pod and rear bag. Again after the 25 yrd paper check I moved out to 100 yards and again was shooting a 6-8" group that was hitting in the upper left hand quadrant of the target. Needless to say I am just a bit frustrated. One of the members on this forum I happen to know and he is taking the rifle out to see if he can figure out the issue but I was wondering if anyone here could possibly shed some light on my predicament.

A big thank you in advanced to each and everyone of you that helps out.

Matt

mscott71
10-23-2012, 07:54 PM
A friend just had a similar issue with a brand new Savage rifle. He sent it back to Savage and they replaced the barrel. Now it's a great shooter.

sharpshooter
10-23-2012, 11:09 PM
It's the ammo.

scratcherky
10-24-2012, 06:35 AM
Try some ammo with 100 grain bullets.

r3dn3ck
10-24-2012, 01:53 PM
damaged crown is my guess. How's it shooting at 25yrds group wise? Any keyholing or elongated holes?

thomae
10-24-2012, 02:04 PM
damaged crown is my guess. How's it shooting at 25yrds group wise? Any keyholing or elongated holes?To check for a damaged crown, run a q-tip or cotton swab up and down/in and out of the end of the barrel. If any threads of cotton catch on the edge, you have some kind of a burr that needs to be smoothed out.