PDA

View Full Version : Extractor Problem

ofdscooby
10-22-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm sure there are a bunch of threads on this and I will search them but I'm in a time crunch and wanted to throw out my question? I was at the range this morning and my rifle was shooting great I have a accutrigger S/A with a criterion .243 and stockade stock. My rifle wasnt extracting very well during my session after shooting I was looking at the bolt and lubed the extractor while wiping it with a rag the extractor slid out. The ball bearing was sitting right there and when I tried to get the ball bearing out of course it went flying and into the dirt never to be found again. Does the extractor usualy slide out fairly easy or may I have anothe problem and can I rob one from another rifle (long action 30-06) so I can get shooting again. My deer season opens saturday and all my efforts have been toward geting this rifle ready.

Thanks Mike

BillPa
10-22-2012, 04:23 PM
I tried to get the ball bearing out of course it went flying and into the dirt never to be found again.
Thanks Mike

"Houston, we have lift off"!

Yes the extractor will slide right out. And yes, all the stuff from another rifle will work as long as the extractor isn't for a .378" cartridge, 222, 223 etc.

PS...its why I keep spares in my range box!:smile-new:

ofdscooby
10-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Ok ill get some and put them in the range box. Also on a better not my rig was shooting like a dream today finally got my load over the crony and it was off to the races 3300 with a 95 grain NBT and 41.5 of H380 prone off the bipod was hitting the ten inch swingers at 600 and even tagged a couple at 700

Blue Avenger
10-22-2012, 11:02 PM
there is a thread on using a larger ball to fit the bore tighter and center the extractor better.

ofdscooby
10-23-2012, 12:39 AM
It looks like I have bigger problems I did have a blown primer and a stuck case to day I dont know if thats what did it but I compared plungers and the one on my short action newer accu- trigger is considerably easier to push down that my older flat back long action plungger I may have screwed up the spring under the plunger. It looks like I need to tap out the retaining pin and replace the spring or clean it up. Do I need any special tools can I do this with just a small punch?

thomae
10-23-2012, 12:45 AM
Do I need any special tools?Nope. Just a small punch.