PDA

View Full Version : seating die question

Texas Solo
10-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Looking at both the RCBS Competition seating die and the RCBS Gold Medal seating die.
Is the Gold Medal die with the extra $$$, and does it require the extended shell holder like the Comp die?
I don't see much difference in them, and the RCBS site gives zero detail.

82boy
10-21-2012, 11:20 PM
I use a RCBS gold medal seating die for my 6PPC's and it works great. I dont use an extended shell holder.

helotaxi
10-22-2012, 10:53 PM
I prefer the Forster micrometer seating die. I've used the RCBS and I found the Forster to work as well or better and cost less.

jhelmuth
10-23-2012, 04:10 PM
I prefer the Forster micrometer seating die. I've used the RCBS and I found the Forster to work as well or better and cost less.

+1 I use the Forster as well....

nubrun
10-23-2012, 04:17 PM
+1 I use the Forster as well....

+2 I use the benchrest seating die though in lieu of the micrometer die. Works great and much cheaper.

drybean
10-23-2012, 04:31 PM
+3 on forster dies

drybean

helotaxi
10-23-2012, 11:12 PM
I have 6 or so of the Benchrest seating dies and a single micrometer for .243. It makes it much easier to set the exact OAL that you want compared to the regular Benchrest die. They both make really good ammo.

Luckus
10-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Forster all the way.

Texas Solo
10-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the replies. Research has shown that the Forster may be the way to go. My greatest concern is seating the VLD bullets (80gr Bergers)
RCBS will custom make a seater plug for you if you send them the bullet you want it for, and $21. Nobody seems to have the Redding plug, and it's cost added to the price of the die seems a bit high, especially if the Forster will do the same job. A review on the Midway site addressed this exact issue, stating that the Forster works fine on VLD's, with out any extra parts or mods.

nubrun
10-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. Research has shown that the Forster may be the way to go. My greatest concern is seating the VLD bullets (80gr Bergers)
RCBS will custom make a seater plug for you if you send them the bullet you want it for, and $21. Nobody seems to have the Redding plug, and it's cost added to the price of the die seems a bit high, especially if the Forster will do the same job. A review on the Midway site addressed this exact issue, stating that the Forster works fine on VLD's, with out any extra parts or mods.

I am seating 130gr VLD's for the 6.5x47 with the Forster, and have had no issues.

82boy
10-24-2012, 11:38 AM
To start I am not a big fan of Redding, we will leave it at that. Forster makes a great product, and for the cost I would say it is better than anything else on the planet, that is mass produced. I have used forester for years, and can not say I have ever had a problem with it seating VLD bullets, I can keep my consitrisity at or under .002. I have used Forsters 6x47L die, and thier 6BR die and they both work great. I have also used RCBS gold medal 6BR die, and it also works great no problem what so ever with vld bullets and seating them. With that said if you have a problem Forster will take care of it, but they may charge you for custom parts. I will say without a doubt RCBS has the BEST customer service in the industry, and they have never charged me for anything. From my experince you can go wrong with either company. If it decision is based on cost Forster is great, if it is bassed on customer service RCBS is great.

Texas Solo
10-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I have also used RCBS gold medal 6BR die, and it also works great no problem what so ever with vld bullets and seating them.

I spoke to RCBS this AM. They themselves said that I would need a custom seater plug to get consistent results with their die. Not doubting your results with the RCBS & VLD's, maybe RCBS is trying to sell me additional stuff. But the majority say the extra parts are necessary for RCBS, not so with the Forster. I ordered the Forster an hour ago.

Balljoint
10-24-2012, 11:56 AM
When i started to load for 308 after loading 30/06 exclusively when my RCBS Gold Medal dies came there was an extended shell holder BUT as i was using the dies on a Dillon 550 the shell holder could not be used, so had a friend at work make a spacer the same size and placed it inside the seating die to make up the difference.
Took a close look at the seating dies for the 308 and 30/06 gold medal dies they were the same and the extended shell holder came with th 308 dies to make up the different when used on a single station press.

helotaxi
10-24-2012, 12:05 PM
I've been loading 105gn VLDs in .243 and 55gn "LRBTHP" Bergers in .204 Ruger, both real icepick looking bullets, with Forster dies. No problems with consistency. The seating stem is bored pretty deep so it doesn't crush the meplat.

FUBAR
10-24-2012, 10:44 PM
I prefer inline dies, but the Forster is my second choice and Reddings are right there also...

Gold Medal seating dies are based off of the old Vickerman die design. I think the opening can introduce concentricity, however that opening can be useful for short bullets.

loneranger04
10-31-2012, 12:30 AM
I've been using the Lee collet die for resizing the brass and seating with a Redding micrometer die and have very nearly zero runout. I had some trouble at first with the Lee collet die for sizing (following their instructions) but finally got that worked out. It does a good job of keeping the neck runout good. The Redding mic. die holds the case while seating the bullet. Not sure how the other brands of competition dies work.