PDA

View Full Version : Ring Height ? for Precision Carbine

metoliusmonkey
10-21-2012, 08:26 PM
I just ordered a Precision Carbine in 308. I am planning on mounting a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10X56mm on an EGW 0 moa 1 piece rail with Warne QD rings. I rarely will shoot past 300 yards. What height rings should I use?

J.Baker
10-21-2012, 11:50 PM
The EGW bases are fairly short, so with a 56mm Objective I'd say you'll likely need high - maybe even extra high. Best bet: Buy both heights and return the ones you don't use.

davemuzz
10-22-2012, 12:13 AM
Not even remotely related....but I just ordered a Leupold VX-3 with a 50mm objective lens. I am mounting it with a EGW 20 MOA one piece base and if my math is correct, with the ring height of the Burris high ZEE Ring being .300 I ordered a set of the high rings. These should give me sufficient clearance to mount the scope to my rifle. If not, I'll have to go with the extra high rings

helotaxi
10-22-2012, 11:03 PM
My .308 with an EGW base and mounting a SS 5-20x50 uses Seekins low rings and there is plenty of clearance between the scope bell and the barrel. I found that the Burris Signature Zee medium rings were WAY too high with any scope. It became an issue of ending up with a chin weld instead of a cheek weld on the stock and there was more than 1/2" between the scope and the barrel with a 50mm objective. I ended up going with Leupold style bases to be able to use Signature rings without the scope ending up too high. Both of my hunting rifles have that configuration now.

thomae
10-23-2012, 12:47 AM
With some short scopes (Nikon 3-9x40 comes to mind) the clearance issue is between the scope objective bell and the Picatinny rail (and not between the bell and barrel), due to the fact that the scope needs to be far enough toward the rear for proper eye relief and cheek weld.

helotaxi
10-23-2012, 08:25 AM
That's an easy fix. Cut the extra overhang on the rail off. Function over form. I'd much rather have a trimmed rail with a touched up edge than a scope that sits too high to be properly utilized. If it's really a problem still you need to go with a different base and ring combo. A full rail isn't always, or even "usually", the best solution for a practical rifle.

For the OP, I've got a feeling that you'll find the length of the rail a problem with the correct height rings. You could go with the 2-piece Warne bases and slightly taller rings since you don't need any taper in the base, look for a shorter rail (length, not height) or cut the front overhang off the EGW base.

metoliusmonkey
10-23-2012, 10:25 AM
I ordered the EGW 0 moa 1 piece rail and the Warne Maxima 30mm QD High rings. I will post the results. According to the ring height chart on midway this is what I need.

helotaxi
10-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Hope it works out, but I've got a feeling that the scope is going to be really high.

metoliusmonkey
11-03-2012, 12:14 PM
I ended up using the medium height Warne rings.