PDA

View Full Version : new savage

moonshinedoc
12-28-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm new here and have a question about my new gun. My wife got me a model 111 GCNS 30-06 for Christmas and now looking for scope along with rings and base to complete the package. I have several question concerning the base and rings....mainly which ones and what model numbers? I had been looking at the bases and have been considering the quick release, antone have these or should I go with the two or one piece base. Still haven't decided on what scope so the ring hieght is still in the air. Thanks for all the opinions!

358Hammer
12-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Welcome to the forum!

There are lots of rings and bases to choose from. SInce I went ultra-light I really like my picatinny base and rings made by TPS. Light strong and no movement good price as well.

Weaver #46 should get the job done as well depending on your personal needs of course.

Neal

rjtfroggy
12-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Burris also makes 2 piece bases and good rings in either the signature or xtr both are very good and I have both types on my savages.
Personally I like the xtr better and slowly but surely will be converting over to the xtr rings.

moonshinedoc
12-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the info.! I'm sure I'll be asking more questions and it is much appreciated.

Blue Avenger
12-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Watch your scope length and ring spacing. 2 piece bases are not partial to short tube scopes

Hoot
12-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Burris also makes 2 piece bases and good rings in either the signature or xtr both are very good and I have both types on my savages.
Personally I like the xtr better and slowly but surely will be converting over to the xtr rings.

+1 on the Burris Signature Zee rings. Since trying a set, I will never use anything else for a Weaver style mount. Midway has them on sale through the end of the month.

Hoot

LHitchcox
12-29-2009, 01:06 PM
I really like the Burris Zs for Weaver style rings. For bases, I use Weavers. If the rifle is the new round rear receiver, the book calls for two #46 bases. However, I have found that to avoid having to use extended rings I can use an extended front base #402 and the shorter scopes will fit fine with regular rings.