PDA

View Full Version : Savage 220: New Model 220

rjtfroggy
10-20-2012, 11:34 AM
I ended up buying a camo-matte model 220 at Dick's $479+tax and can't be happier. I took it to the range a little while ago and sighted it in, 10 shots and zeroed at 100 yards, right at 1" and about 3" high at 50. I used the Remington copper solids and will use them for this year before I start to experiment with other brands.
The only things I can say in a negative are the stock is terrible but for 9 days a year hunting it will do, the bolt is also a little stiff and unless you really give it a tug it does not eject shell just lays there.
The set up is; mod. 220 Luepold 2 piece bases(windage adj.) 3.8-12 Intensity(weaver 44/40.

M.O.A.
10-20-2012, 11:44 AM
thats great ive been thinking about one too for some reason i cant bring my self to buy one ;-} mybe has something to do with my state letting use use .44 cal rifles now i just take my new marlin

rjtfroggy
10-28-2012, 01:24 PM
I took this back to the range this morning and tried Federal Fusion 2 3/4 @ 100. All I can say is it surely doesn't like it about 6" group. It figures fusion is half the price. I will try Winchester next if I can find it and maybe some accu tips.

Westcliffe01
10-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Do you have a stainless steel version ? I have one and found the finish on the bolt to be pretty rough. It appears that they media blast the stainless bolt and it is not a fine finish. I basically got some 400 grit water paper and sanded the bolt shaft lengthways to knock the edge off the grit blasted finish. Then I lubed it with grease. After that, it was 100x better than before.

I agree on the crappy stock. Mine did not group better than 2-3" and it is $3/pop so I was not going to shoot dozens of rounds to experiment.

M.O.A.
10-29-2012, 01:09 AM
Try some cheap slugs the might be supriseing :-) like some TKOs or cheap remy sluggers

rjtfroggy
10-29-2012, 06:29 AM
MOA I did try 3 old style federals (foster) and they were so far out of the group I didn't include them in my summary. ( 10-11" out & left of center.
I checked the manual and it only recomends 3" rem. accutips,but I am hoping to find something in 2 3/4 and hopefully cheaper than $18 a box. I'm not a big fan of plastic tipped bullets but that may be the only solution other than just staying with the copper solids.

M.O.A.
10-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Have you tried any lightfeilds yet there a grea slug :-)

Westcliffe01
10-29-2012, 03:02 PM
I have been shooting Hornady 23/4" SST's. I ordered them online and last time I was at Cabelas they were the same price (about $13/5). I have not yet laid hands on any 3" slugs since I have not found any in stock anywhere. However, mine has already taken 2 does this year, the first one at 170 yards. So don't worry, you can shoot the 23/4 just fine. I did get some Remington accutips also, same length, but I used most of them up when I was sighting in the scope. When I went to get more, the Remingtons were out, so I got more SST's. Either of those will work for you, but get whichever one you can find and stick with it for this season, since the POI is slightly different.

rjtfroggy
10-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Moa I haven't seen Lightfields in any of the stores. I ended up ordering a few boxes of different brands yesterday both sabot and foster so I will be back at the range for testing.