PDA

View Full Version : 358 Hoosier

Pages : 1 [2]

kevin_stevens
10-28-2012, 03:14 PM
no where in the rule book does it say anything about the firearms chamber. they only give case length and bullet diameter. it will work out fine. if you decide to o this way let me know. maybe i can help out

Clearly those laws were written to prevent certain centerfire combinations. I understand that peopple are engineering around them here, but what was the original rationale of those specific caliber/case restriction numbers?

KeS

Blue Avenger
10-28-2012, 05:58 PM
It took out all the factory standard calibers that XPs, Strikers, and TCs were chambered in, Making it hard to use one.

BoilerUP
10-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Clearly those laws were written to prevent certain centerfire combinations. I understand that peopple are engineering around them here, but what was the original rationale of those specific caliber/case restriction numbers?

KeS

Some people in this state think allowing people to hunt deer with modern centerfires would lead to a public safety concern, ie. every Tom/Dick/Harry shooting their 30-06s indiscriminately at every little noise, leading to stray bullets hitting houses/cars/buildings/livestock/people/etc.

(Nevermind that doesn't happen in Kentucky where centerfires are perfectly legal for deer, and you can hunt coyotes with a 338LM if you wanted to)

So muzzleloaders and slug guns were legal for firearms, as they are range limited compared to modern centerfire rifles. Then DNR allows most any caliber over 6mm in handguns (so you could use 308 in a Sriker, for example), then allowed only pistol calibers .357 and larger in rifles, then rifles using bullets .357 or larger in a case with max OAL of 1.625", and for this year DNR increased max case OAL to 1.80" allowing cartridges like 450 Bushmaster.

I suspect we'll eventually get to using 'normal' centerfires once the bowhunting snobs realize there's not a bunch of hillbillies killing "their" deer and shooting up innocent people. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next year or two they change the caliber restrictions to allow short-cased 30cal rifle cartridges like 300 Whisper/AAC and maybe 30BR and stop there for a decade or so.

M.O.A.
10-29-2012, 01:04 AM
I would be happy with lever rounds like the 45-70 30-30 35 rem ans such :-)

Ishooter
10-29-2012, 07:24 AM
cycler there is a guy doing that. My problem with it is that I don't have a 300wsm rifle. I do have model 7 in 308 and I have a Savage in 243 so that is why I wanted to stick with the 308 case. He states that he gets better performance than a 358 Winchester. Also the brass is really costly.

Cycler
10-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Dtech Custom Ar-15, builds the 358/25WSSM specifically for Indiana Deer hunting, you might look into that, be simpler to neck up the 25WSSM than to shorten the 300WSM case
This is exactly what I had in mind. A 25WSSM case holds about 50 gr of most powders so that's right in the neighborhood of the .308 case and the case length is only 1.67" so it easily meets the Indiana regulation.