PDA

View Full Version : Fast twist 22-250.

Predator1
10-19-2012, 04:40 PM
I am wanting to do a fast twist 22-250 to shoot some 75-80gr bullets. Just wondering if I should do an 8 twist. I saw that NSS has shilens in an 8 twist but his criterions are a 9 twist. Looking at these two brands and also an SSS barrel from Fred. What do you guys think?

M.O.A.
10-19-2012, 04:57 PM
to be on the safe side git the 8 twist

seanhagerty
10-19-2012, 07:36 PM
I agree, you can't make up for too slow of a twist.

Predator1
10-20-2012, 10:35 AM
I was leaning toward the 8 as well. Do you guys see any difference in quality from the criterions, shilens and McGowens? I'm also thinking about a Douglas from SSS but I haven't checked on wait times.

M.O.A.
10-20-2012, 10:49 AM
i think they all have there merrits and its really a personal opinion

Cherokee305
10-21-2012, 04:40 PM
I've got a 1-9 criterion that I shoot 69 gr sierras and also 75 Amax from and it handles them both great.

Hog Assassin
10-22-2012, 08:42 AM
I have a Criterion SS barrel in varmint weight in 22-250AI that is an 8 twist and I shoot 77 grain and 80 grain SMK with great accuracy. I got the barrel from Jim at NSS and I am extremely pleased with the whole setup. I put the barrel on a Savage 12 LRPV DBM and it is just a great setup. I had to wait awhile for Criterion to get the reamer but now that they have it as a stock caliber if you want one the wait should not be too long. I like the AI in the 22-250 since it eliminates a lot of the brass flow and case prep for reloading is greatly reduced and the increase in MV is an added advantage. All in all I will do it again if and when I shoot out this barrel and I will order from Jim since he is really one of the best customer service people that I have had the pleasure to deal with.

Predator1
10-22-2012, 11:14 AM
I have a Criterion SS barrel in varmint weight in 22-250AI that is an 8 twist and I shoot 77 grain and 80 grain SMK with great accuracy. I got the barrel from Jim at NSS and I am extremely pleased with the whole setup. I put the barrel on a Savage 12 LRPV DBM and it is just a great setup. I had to wait awhile for Criterion to get the reamer but now that they have it as a stock caliber if you want one the wait should not be too long. I like the AI in the 22-250 since it eliminates a lot of the brass flow and case prep for reloading is greatly reduced and the increase in MV is an added advantage. All in all I will do it again if and when I shoot out this barrel and I will order from Jim since he is really one of the best customer service people that I have had the pleasure to deal with.

Hog, curious about the throat in your barel. Are you seating bullets out close to the rifling? What is your cartridge OAL and how much bullet is in the case? Is it short enough you could shoot some lighter bullets if you wish and still reach the lands? I would like to shoot some 53grvmax or 55gr BT if I chose to but still be able to shoot 75-77gr bullets as well.

Hog Assassin
10-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Predator, when I ordered my barrel I asked for a deeper/longer throat so I could seat the longer VLD style bullets longer in the case. My COL is between 2.45 and 2.50 with the 77 grain and 80 grain and the VLD bullets with the bullet @ .005 from the lands. I have never shot anything lighter than the 69 grain SMK so I can't comment on bullets in the 50+ grain category but I feel that with my current chamber that there would be some jump to contend with to have enough neck holding the bullet. If you stay with the standard chamber you will probably still be OK with the 50+ grain up to the 75 grain bullets. I like the longer lead chamber so the bullet is not so deep in the case which leaves more room for powder and combustion.

acemisser
11-11-2012, 07:18 PM
TO HOG----Thanks for your time in the service..Welcome home.......I myself am an old vet....Thanks again...John