PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 10FCP finally

Spe
12-28-2009, 01:59 AM
I've been waiting on this gun to come in for a long time, my first gun. I'll post pictures soon. I've been reading up a lot all around on forums and sites as much as i can find. But because I'm overly cautious about things like this so I could use some info to fill in the holes.

Gun= Savage 10FCP McMillan stock. Harris Bi pod. (still working on scope S&B or Leupold)

Bolt Lubricant.
What kind, and how to?

Ammo.
Will it hurt if i use 150g ammo instead of the the optimal 165-178g?
What is keyholing?

Muzzle Break
Set up do I have to do prep work (Barrel threading) for it, or just buy and it comes with instructions.

So far that's the only questions I have. Ill post pics as soon as I can.

Dennis
12-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Just ask any question . . . . . First, get a Nightforce scope, second, my gun loves 175gr BTHP's especially @ 600yds, muzzle break, I added one but it's not needed.

I just started reloading and I have plenty of factory rounds I might will part with. The below picture shown was using factory 168 rounds!

I love this gun, I love 308's in general. All are nail drivers and get the job done. I can shoot 110gr to to 200gr bullets with no problem. Barrel life is a major factor, I doubt if I will ever wear out the barrels on my 308's.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae56/Dennis4437/DSC02378.jpg

kenbo776
12-29-2009, 04:12 PM
I have the very same model with the McMillian stock. Love it ! I use light amount of Rig on the bolt , plus a few drops of silicon lube. The Rig is a light grease originally made for stainless steel guns. I use it on everything that has a lot of movement. Auto pistol slides, bolts, whatever moves a lot. Its not very heavy so it can be used in a fairly low temp enviorment, ( I am in north cali so its fine all year long ).
Just dont use very much since it can attract dirt or gun things up if you overuse. The silicon oil is just because I like to hedge my bets and have both types of lube. Same thing, dont need but a few drops at a time.
My scope is an aftermarket one, Konuspro30...its a 4.5 X16 40mm, $500 at my local retail. I could not afford a Leapold or any of the other high end scopes at the time and had a $2000 budget for the whole rifle - scope combo. I have had excellent results with this scope for what I have been doing. If you can afford something better than do so by all means. Good scope is very important part of a setup.
I also have been reloading a lot of ammo for my rifle. I have shot a lot ( 600 or more) of 150 grain bullets and about 300 168 grain bullets. Both work great but the 150 gr are definatly cheaper if you need to need lots of trigger time. Accuracy of both have been very good . My best group at 200 yards is about 3/4 in with 168 gr. I have shot close to that with 150 gr. Might have slight advantage with 168 gr for long range.
Keyholing is when the bullet turns sideways a bit and goes into target crooked. Not a good thing because it means it was not stabilised correctly by the rifling in the barrel. Not going to be very accurate. Never seen that with my Savage.
Dont have muzzle brake and dont feel need for one yet. Recomend if you get one ahve it installed by gunsmith....unless you are a very good machinist.

BobT
12-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Gun= Savage 10FCP McMillan stock. Harris Bi pod. (still working on scope S&B or Leupold) - My pick is Leupold

Bolt Lubricant.
What kind, and how to? - I use Sinclair or Shooters Choice just a thin film on the rear lug surfaces

Will it hurt if i use 150g ammo instead of the the optimal 165-178g? - nope

What is keyholing? - It occurs when the bullet is unstable, tumbles in flight and hits the target sideways resulting in a "Keyhole" shaped hole in the target, usually because of incorrect rifling twist but it can also occur when the bullet is flawed or falls below the velocity required to maintain stable flight.

Welcome to the forum!

Bob

sparks1
12-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Welcome...I waited a long time for my 10FCP-HS Precision stock .308 but it was worth the wait.

I like the 168 SMK,s for target and 165 Hornady for hunting. (deer) 150's would be a good choice too.

I went with a Millet Tactical TRS.. 4X16 30mm scope. Good price and it tracks really well. I also own Leupolds and Nikons, and I believe the Millet is as good as they are. Not a high end scope, but my budget allowed just so much.

sims5
12-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Very nice rifle! Would like to own one of those someday.

Quackaddict
12-29-2009, 09:23 PM
My 10 FCP HS prefers 155 sencars across the board over the 168 Amax bullets I have tried. Your mileage may vary. I would personally try 155's, 168's and 175/178 grain bullets over Varget, RL-15, and IMR 4895. IF you cant make one of those combos shoot something is very wrong. I have been having good luck with Varget but there are plenty of guns that shoot the others great.

Dennis
12-29-2009, 09:28 PM
I also have been reloading a lot of ammo for my rifle. I have shot a lot ( 600 or more) of 150 grain bullets and about 300 168 grain bullets. Both work great but the 150 gr are definatly cheaper if you need to need lots of trigger time. Accuracy of both have been very good . My best group at 200 yards is about 3/4 in with 168 gr. I have shot close to that with 150 gr. Might have slight advantage with 168 gr for long range.

Load data would be nice to go along with all the above comments on bullets/powder.

Spe
12-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Awesome.
Thank you very much for the posts, was worried I was going to get the "just read the forum" cold shoulder for a bit there.

I'm glad to hear the 150 is fine cause I picked up a lot of it from my uncle (bought in bulk and didn't like it, win for me). I would like to start reloading soon, but waiting to get the supplies and have time for it.

I'm just making notes as I go along and reading as much as I can find.
I picked up a Savage Mark II to get used to shooting. The 10FCP I got from a trade so I feel better shooting the 22 first to get used to things, funner to shoot in the back yard anyway. First day shooting and 200 rounds. Figure if I screw something up or need a learning curve a 22 is easier, safer, cheaper. Suppose I should post that and pics on the .22 side of the forums.

Now I'm in that 'hands-on' phase for the most part.

Thanks again for the responses
-Spe

Dennis
12-30-2009, 02:21 AM
Spe,

Don't be scared to use 168gr A-Max, 180gr Nossler Balistic Tips, or 175gr BTHP. You should have a 10 twist barrel. It will shoot up to 190grs, some say 210gr.

I shoot 175gr BTHP at 600yds all the time. The last time I shot it (factory ammo, 175gr BTHP) 65 of my 66 shots would have dropped a deer.

PS: Get a good scope for long range, it's a must!