PDA

View Full Version : Todays antelope, WY

5spd
10-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Filled all my tags as of today with the doe finalizing my hunts.
I waited in this spot for 2 hrs as I knew they would feed/& lay along this bowl as they usually do after 7 am or later.
Im set up at 6 am to wait them out.
The safe spot is a fenceline to the ranch who requires payment for antelopes, so if they bust thats where they go.
I parked about 3/4 mile south of my spot (state land) and hiked in.
There are usually ridge hunters, (drive till they see them) out, but I got lucky and no one was driving all over the state land today.
They never see into the back hills/gullies at all....just to lazy IMO to hike out and see them hiding.
730 am I see 7 does pop over a ridge into the bowl feeding and at 800 yards & 34 MPH winds Im not going to shoot cross it.
I lay there and they get about 450 yards out and slow down and 4 lay in the sun out of the wind.
I crawl backwards and onto the low side of the hill, then walk 200 yards up the gully between us, then over the top in line w/them and crawl into the brush. I see them and get on my belly & crawl to a spot in the shrubs and have a nice window on 4 of them.
I closed the range to 244 yards by moving.
I have the wind in my face which I like so I dont have to dope it, dial my scope to 250 yd and BOOM goes my Savage .243, handload of a nosler 95g hunting BT bullet at 3010 fps...she drops like a train hit her. Hit her above the shoulder through the neck. The others run off, then come back & mill around for about 4 min. I stay on my belly and think...Man if I had still another doe tag I could be really set.
They then hit full throttle and are gone.
The second picture is a tad fuzzy, but that white spot is her & thats my window I shot through.
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn400/5spd1/doeantelope006_zps55584828.jpg
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn400/5spd1/doeantelope001_zps9d7e607d.jpg

JackinSD
10-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Congrats and thanks for sharing!

1happyshooter
11-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Those does can be a lot of fun chasing around. Good job.

teebirdhyzer
11-29-2012, 11:25 PM
good shot! congrats on a nice fat one.

handirifle
11-30-2012, 12:52 AM
Nice, sounds like you earned that doe. Congrats!

CJnWy
11-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Goats still in season? Had to grab a copy of the regs as I thought antelope hunting was long since done......Learn something new everyday if you pay attention ;-)
Numbers are down around here so bad I passed on antelope doe tags, still have a couple of whitetail tags that have to be filled tomarrow......with a little luck?

5spd
12-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Goats still in season? Had to grab a copy of the regs as I thought antelope hunting was long since done......Learn something new everyday if you pay attention ;-)
Numbers are down around here so bad I passed on antelope doe tags, still have a couple of whitetail tags that have to be filled tomarrow......with a little luck?
Most all antelope closes Oct 31, BUt in a few zones it goes to Dec 31 for doe/fawn/reduced tags.

shovelheadave
12-09-2012, 07:57 PM
AWESOME !!!

Sure hope we draw in 2013, can't wait to get back out there !!!