PDA

View Full Version : Best way to swap a bolt head

Jamie
10-18-2012, 01:49 PM
I picked up an older 1st Gen action with the solid bottom reciever, 4.52" screw spacing, with a .378 bolt head. Plan was to swap out to a .473 head but it seems there is a few small items that keep it from being a drop in. SO for those of you who know these, is it easier to cut the notch into the new bolt head or easier to take the dimple out of the bolt? Or do you know where I can find a drop in .473 head for this? Thanks

geargrinder
10-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Take a dremel and smooth out the dimple. Then your bolt body is set for any bolt head.

That's what I did with mine.

Jamie
10-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks, got it taken care of and the bolt head slips right in. How did you get the firing pin to fit? Did you order a new long action pin and cut it down to size?

devildogandboy
10-18-2012, 09:13 PM
i started working on the same thing on tuesday, i dremelled out the notch in the bolt body and drilled the bolthead to enlarge the firing pin hole, didn't have the right size drill bit for th e job so i am waiting for it to arrive(i used the .140). for the large firing pin like i have it needs an #25 drill bit according to other members and seems to be good info.

here's a link to my other post which may help some.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18517-what-size-drill-for-large-firing-pin

OH, by the way mine was an long action receiver that had the notch in the bolt body. i have to drill out the bolthead to get the large firing pin to fit it!

BillPa
10-18-2012, 10:27 PM
here's a link to my other post which may help some.
http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?18517-what-size-drill-for-large-firing-pin

Yeah, just make sure its a #25, not the 75 some old tired goat posted!:p

Oh BTW, only open it from the end of the shaft to the vent in the bolt head. Past that both pins are the same size.

Bill

devildogandboy
10-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Bill, i didn't mention anything about any mistake that someone may have made! LOL

you meant well Bill.

geargrinder
10-19-2012, 12:59 AM
It's easier and quicker if you use the #75. :)

But, the #25 works a little better.

Thanks for all the great info Bill. Glad you're back.

Jamie
10-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks for all the help fellas. I appreciate it.