PDA

View Full Version : About my new Stevens 200

rickt300
12-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Well it's a 270 but my plan was to rebarrel it to a fast twist 22 centerfire like the 224 Texas Trophy Hunter. It really is a fine shooter, way better than i expected but it has one problem, it won't eject the empty cases. It is new from Academy less than three weeks old and it is under warranty. I can give it back to Academy and they will send it back to get a new spring put under the ejector pin. Any ideas on how long this will take? Would it be a good idea to get a 223 barrel reamed for the TTH or 22-250? This would give me a 1 in 9 inch twisted barrel with more powder capacity. What could I expect out of a 22 inch barrel? Or how much trouble is it to change the ejector spring?

lwink
12-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Changing the ejector spring is very easy, can be done in just a couple minutes once you figure out how to do it (there is a great tutorial with pictures on this site). If it was my gun I would just try to get a new spring for free rather than do without the gun for who knows how many weeks??

GaCop
12-28-2009, 06:32 AM
It's not hard to change at all, I wouldn't send it back. I'd go with a larger bearing in addition to the spring. The bearing can be bought at any hardware store.

dolomite_supafly
12-28-2009, 08:54 AM
It's not hard to change at all, I wouldn't send it back. I'd go with a larger bearing in addition to the spring. The bearing can be bought at any hardware store.

Just out of curiousity, what bearing are you talking about for the ejector?

I have bought new bolt heads and put them together and never seen a bearing in the ejector assembly. The extractor has a small bearing under it but not in the ejector.

Dolomite

BrentWin
12-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Is the case being pulled back all of the way and not ejecting, or is it only being pulled back about half way?

If this is happening, most likely, the ejector is fine. The extractor is letting go of the rim before the neck of the case gets to the loading port. Without the extractor working as a hinge the case won't eject.

So most likely the bearing under the extractor plate needs to be replaced with one slightly larger. Call SSS and they will sell you one.

LHitchcox
12-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Lots of confusion between extraction/ejection. Does the rifle pull the case from the chamber? Does it pull the case out under the extractor, but fail to toss it clear?

The bearing is under the brass extractor. It lets the extractor float, thus sliding back out of the way of a case as you chamber. Then it clicks over the rim and holds it to extract from the chamber. As you pull back the bolt, the ejector spring will flip the case out of the action.

rickt300
12-28-2009, 01:45 PM
It extracts fine, the ejector just barely pushes the case out from under the extractor in time to fall into the action when the neck of the case clears the action.

rickt300
12-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Fixed it. I used a decapping pin as a punch to push the ejector retaining pin out. The spring was too short so I stretched it. Then I cleaned the hole and ejector pin and easily replaced the pin by depressing it with a cartridge case hooked under the extractor and tapped the retaining pin back into place. I think I will order a new spring from Midway anyway but it works now at least.