PDA

View Full Version : Savage Upgrade Thoughts

cladd1
10-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Was thinking of rebarreling my 6BR from a Douglas to a Krieger - also maybe adding an Evolution trigger - thoughts?

Blue Avenger
10-17-2012, 06:33 PM
With out knowing how the gun or you shoot? I would just be blowing smoke. We would first have to determine which of you is the weak link to spend your money wisley. Douglas is just as good as the other names you tossed out as far as I am concerned.

Lets start with where do you rank in your class and what are your match scores?

cladd1
10-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Good point Avenger! We shoot at targets at 100/300/400 yards - in "custom" class most of the time I'll finish in the middle of the pack i.e., 50th percentile.

Thanks

Blue Avenger
10-17-2012, 09:35 PM
You using the same load for 100 & 400?

what size groups are you getting?

82boy
10-17-2012, 11:15 PM
I think the set up you have is plenty fine. As Blue Avenger has stated a Douglas is every bit as good as a Shilen, Lilja, or Krieger. As far as a full blown custom expect to put out $3000 plus dollars. The SSS evolution trigger is super nice, and requires a T&T job. The SSS competition trigger is nice, and it is good enought that switching to an Evolution trigger would only give you a lighter trigger pull feel. A T&T job would be an good idea, as this would give you more of a custom action feel, when opening the bolt, and it would disturb the set up less between shots, and it would ensure a constant ignigtion, which might tighten up your groups a bit. This would be where I would place money into your setup. If you do go with a T&T job, you will need to pick what trigger you are going with as the timing part is directly dependant on the trigger. The SSS LRBR is a popular stock, and many remington customs use either a McMillan MBR or Shehane MBR tracker, which is the exact same stock. You never mention what scope, or equipement you are using, you may find that money is better spent in these areas.

Dennis
10-18-2012, 04:56 AM
however I am not certain I would fare that much better to justify the cost.

Unless your shooting benchrest, the above is a good statement. The SSS evolution triggers are nice, I have 4 and NO complaints. With a good barrel, you should be ready to go.