PDA

View Full Version : 260 vs 243, 6.5x284, and 6x47l

Pages : 1 [2]

Quackaddict
12-29-2009, 03:04 PM
I doubt you will be able to outshoot a Mcgowan built right, I have sene plenty of picture son here of tiny groups from members. Maybe not "benchrest" quality but who cares? So much time is spend chasing 1/8 and 1/4 minute groups. Go shoot and have fun!

Dennis
12-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Go shoot and have fun!

This is priority number "ONE"

BobT
12-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Maybe not "benchrest" quality but who cares?

I do!

If I am shooting larger groups than I should be I'm not having as much fun as I should.

With the price McGowan is asking I'll go with Shilen for less money every time. You can pick up a Shilen from Northlander, a Douglas from SSS, and Sinman has Brux barrels that are making a name for themselves in the matches. All of them are top notch barrels, if you want to go one step higher grab a Kreiger Lilja or Broughton and have a top benchrest gunsmith thread and chamber it for you.

Bob

skoger
12-30-2009, 07:52 AM
I know this isnt part of the original question, but ever consider the 6.5 swede? It can outrun the .260, less chamber pressure, every bit as accurate as the other calibers mentioned, does need a long action. In modern actions, such as savage, you can load to the max with no problems, good brass is available, nearlly twice the barrel life of the .260. I have built rifles for over 20 years, including .260's. and have yet to see any advantage to it, other than the short action, and that may not be an advantage just compact! I am talking target and real world hunting in the field, not on paper.

spaniel
12-30-2009, 06:20 PM
I've done heavy research into the 6mm options. First, I think it's a little misleading to look at contest results as those people tend to be progressive and trendy and will always try the latest things. The 243, 243AI and 260 have all been around, the 6X47L is new and trendy (and good). I don't think this shows it's inherently superior. Same with the 300WM migrating from favor for long range despite its solid record of...well...records.

The only concerns I have with the 6X47L is brass cost/availability and ammo. I've been looking at the 243AI for a long time and it's good to know I can salvage a hunt with 243 ammo if needed. I'm not a benchrest shooter, and I can afford a few extra grains of powder to match the performance. I've heard rumors that there is longer barrel life with the 6X47L but the sources I've heard that from are also quoting lower velocities than I typically see for the 243AI for the same weight bullets.