PDA

View Full Version : Headspace

MSW
10-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Just put together .300 win mag. I bought a barreled action with no bolt. 111 with factory barrel. Ordered a new bolt from Savage. Got the go/no-go gauges today. The no-go will close with force, should I back the nut up and tighten to go-gauge and try again? Or, will they close on no-go? Thanks

mnbogboy2
10-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Try not to "force" any gauge to close, because chamber damage could result....And yes do it over, the no-go guage means just that it should not go..Sometimes you just have to play with the barrel position when you tighten the nut to get it just right...I like mine to "just" close on the go gauge...but one piece of scotch tape on the go-gauge will not close....
Good luck,
Randy

devildogandboy
10-16-2012, 02:53 PM
here's a short video that might help!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPlFtskCwng

stangfish
10-16-2012, 07:37 PM
On a belted magnum you want the go gage to be very close...like within .002. I am not sure of the tollerence between the two, I just shoot for just off the go gauge. So I am going to say that if you can close it with force on the no-go it is too loose.

Remember that once belted magnums are fired in a gun they should be used in that gun only or one with a shorter chamber. Neck size only but if you just have to use a full length sizer then get a case headspace tool and learn how to use it. Only bump the shoulder back .001 or .002 maximum. Inspect your twice fired cases for buldges above the belt after every firing. I have seen chambers .010 longer than the cartridge in the headspace(shoulder) department so keep the brass with the barrel.