PDA

View Full Version : 450 marlin build... ?

blueoval56
10-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Hey guys,
I've tried to search a little about this but my Internet is kinda limited as I am writing this from south America while I'm at work. Anyways, I have been dreaming about a 450 marlin build for a while now and am now able to pull the trigger, so to speak, as the gun fund is finally replenished :)
My question to everyone is what would be the best way to go about this? I am envisioning a WSM action(I think this would work) and a 24inch medium weight barrel with a laminate stock. Purpose... Pretty much an everything gun/ hog gun and pinker. I have a couple 45-70's and love them but don't want to build a big 45 bolt action on a rimmed cartridge. I know I could build something on a 458 win mag and load down(I do load my own) but this would be something different and I love that.

So now I turn the table to those here that have a hell of a lot more experience in this area than I. I have a couple savages and love them, and have always wanted to build a custom but haven't yet.

Thoughts?

375Win
10-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Interesting, I was just looking at a copy of COW and the 458-2" wildcat caught my eye. A friend had built one in the mid 70's and it was one of his favorite deer rifle, tracking/stalking. You should have no problems with your build as the 450 Marlin and the 458-2" differ very little (Marlins odd belt). Personally if your a reloader I'd build the 458-2" as you can cut down any of the standard mags for brass.

358Hammer
10-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Since you have a couple of Savages one simply can purchase a pre-chambered ready to install barrel in any caliber you wish and change the barrel on one of your Savages and change back or to something else whenever you want.

I had the Marlin cartridge in a handgun. It was a fun cartridge and is probably all the power one would usually need. I like the idea of the 458 Win Mag and loading down if one desires. I am currently working on reduced lead loads in my 458 Lott! SO I now have 450 Marlin plinking loads if you will or I can load to the Lott power for bear hunting.

Good luck on your search.

Neal

sniper15545
10-16-2012, 10:44 AM
If your building a 450 Marlin you might as well just build the 45-70 its cheaper and easier to find componets for and you can hand load the 45-70 to the same ballistics as the 450. The 450 was designed so people would not shoot max loads in their old 45-70 rifles. The 450 has been discontinued by Marlin.

blueoval56
10-16-2012, 06:42 PM
I understand that the 45-70 is easier reloading wise(due to more available components), I already own a couple 45-70's and love them but the rim on the 45-70 makes for a nightmare of a build process in a bolt gun. I initially chose the 450 marlin because of the fact that it could be built on a short action(I think) and the fact that I could go buy hornady factory ammo if I had to in a pinch. Now I have come to the conclusion that I would like one in 450 marlin and 458 win mag :)
For the first one though(after a little more research) I think I will go with the 458 win mag and load down. Mostly be because I think it'll be a little easier for the first project. I live in Canada and finding brass can be a real pain in the a**!
Now, my biggest question is what action would be best suited for a 458 win mag? I know I could spin on a barrel onto one that I already own, but none of them are magnums or long actions. If I found a donor gun in 300 WM or 7RM would that work?
I have already heard of the 458-2" and think it is a very neat idea, I just like the idea of being able to buy factory ammo for it in a pinch.

I appreciate all the comments so far!

thomae
10-16-2012, 06:47 PM
.458 Magnum will fit a standard long-action. For a centerfeed Savage, you will need the barrel, magnum bolthead and a magnum magazine. For a centerfeed magazine, it is unclear if the 300 or the 7mm Magnum magazine fit .458 mag better. Once I finish my current builds, the .458 mag will also be my next project.

Shoot-N-Nut
10-16-2012, 07:36 PM
I just built a .458 WinMag, barrels are in stock ready for shipping at Brownells (ER Shaw) they come with the go and no go gauge and a very well made barrel nut wrench. Good luck on the 45-70, the powers to be told me it couldnt be done in a Savage action due to the bolt heads not large enough for that big rimmed case. The rifle I used was a .300 WinMag and the magazine works perfectly with the .458 WinMag.

blueoval56
10-16-2012, 10:29 PM
I just built a .458 WinMag, barrels are in stock ready for shipping at Brownells (ER Shaw) they come with the go and no go gauge and a very well made barrel nut wrench. Good luck on the 45-70, the powers to be told me it couldnt be done in a Savage action due to the bolt heads not large enough for that big rimmed case. The rifle I used was a .300 WinMag and the magazine works perfectly with the .458 WinMag.

If only it were that easy! Up in Canada, they won't ship us anything over $100. So I have to order through one of the dealers up here. And since I have to order it and wait anyways, I was thinking of getting a shillen match in stainless and trying to find a 116 donor action to pair it with. I appreciate all the help, this should be fun!

handirifle
10-17-2012, 12:41 AM
Every time someone want to build a 450 in a Savage it seems everyone wants them to build a 458 WM instead. I say WHY? To me the 450 is MORE than most folks want or can handle, much less a 458.

Plus it's well documented that most cartridges perform more accurately when loaded to near or at case capacity. The 458 would be loaded down MOST, if not all, of the time, to stay at 450 marlin levels.

I do not know, but I would also bet brass for the 458 is more, but if not I doubt it's less, but could be wrong there. The say probably applies to dies as well. Plus it might be a smaller issue, but the bolt cycle is considerably longer in the long action, as opposed to the short action, thus a faster follow up shot with the short action.

That's my .02. I say if ya want a 450, build one.

To the OP, you'll need a short action magnum bolt head, a new barrel, and magazine and follower, plus lots of shoulder pads!!!!

M.O.A.
10-17-2012, 03:48 AM
Personally I like the ideal of the 450 or maybe a 444 both would be a heck of a big bore;-)

jonbearman
10-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Why couldnt you have a local machine shop turn an extractor groove on the 45-70 head and then you could chamber it in your savage and no darned belt.Or you could build a 35 sambar which is a 35 wsm and have more power than a man needs and it overshadows the 458 all the way around and wsm brass is easy to find.

Shoot-N-Nut
10-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Why couldnt you have a local machine shop turn an extractor groove on the 45-70 head and then you could chamber it in your savage and no darned belt.Or you could build a 35 sambar which is a 35 wsm and have more power than a man needs and it overshadows the 458 all the way around and wsm brass is easy to find.

I really wanted to build a 45-70, but Fred's probably one of the top Savage gunsmiths in the Country and he told me he couldnt do it, that pretty much ended my 45-70 build ideas. The 35 Sambar is a wildcat round, it uses 300 WSM brass necked up to 35 caliber, most people now a days call it 358 WSM. It has some possibilities, what load data is out there for it shows a 250gr bullet at about 2700fps and a muzzle energy around 4000, with a bullet limit of 250grs in that 35cal, I dont really see it overshadowing a .458. That and a lack of factory ammo, you would probably have to have custom dies made and have a custom barrel made and making all your own brass, would be a down side to that round for me anyway.