PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Recoil Pad for Boyds Stock

smax
10-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Does anyone know right off hand if there is a good bolt on replacement recoil pad for a Boyds JRS laminate stock. If I have to get a file to fit I will, but I would really prefer not to.

stomp442
10-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Grind to fit is the only way to be sure it will have proper fit and finish.

tobnpr
10-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Limbsaver grind-to-fit...
File won't do it, you need a sander...

thomae
10-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I have done two Pachmayr Decelerator grind to fits. One for an old savage wood stock, and the other for a Boyd's factory thumbhole. They both turned out well, if i say so myself.
Lessons learned.
Buy the jig. It's worth it. It's not that complicated to use. Don't tighten down the screws that hold the pad to the jig too tightly. Just tight enough so the pad does not move.
If you have a bandsaw, use that to rough out the shape using the jig. It will save you some time sanding.
When you sand, if you press hard, you will grind down the backing plate faster than the rubber. Look at what you are sanding from the side so you can see that you are not creating a bulge. Dont worry about the smooth surface until you get near the end. Then use a lot of WD-40 or other spray oil on the belt and the pad and sand relatively lightly to get that super smooth finish.

Oh, and once you have the pad on the jig, put it in the freezer. It sands better when it is frozen. Freeze, sand, freeze again, sand again, freeze again, finish sanding.

I hope this helps.

Edit: I originally stated that I completed two Limbsaver recoil pads. I was not thinking. The pads I did were Pachmayr Decelerators. Sorry if I misled anyone. The lessons learned still stand.

tobnpr
10-25-2012, 07:10 PM
Freezing....
Nice idea... that soft rubber sands like s***....

stomp442
10-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Don't have that problem with the pachmayr (sp) pads.

thomae
10-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Don't have that problem with the pachmayr (sp) pads.Please see the edits to my previous post.