PDA

View Full Version : Primer tray PITA

Texas Solo
10-14-2012, 07:36 AM
I just got a new RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme. I'm not crazy about the new style primer catcher tray. Although it works very well, it's a PITA to empty.
I tried a magnet to pick out the old primers, but they're not magnetic. Trying to weasel the tray out without spilling the primers all over the place doesn't work either.
Any suggestions ?

acemisser
10-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Guess I have no idea what your talking about..I looked at a picture,but still can't figure it out...You mean the thing that goes around the press?

seanhagerty
10-14-2012, 08:12 AM
Use a vacuum to get the primers. A shop vac works great.

BillPa
10-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Guess I have no idea what your talking about..I looked at a picture,but still can't figure it out...You mean the thing that goes around the press?

Yep, that's it, the black "Y" shaped gadget behind the ram.
https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/images/rcbs/item/FullA/09356.jpg

To get it out spread the two halves apart a little then kinda rotate the top forward and roll it up and out. One small slip and it becomes a primer launcher! If you don't do it carefully you'll be cleaning up spent primers off the bench and floor anyway.

I just fire up the 1 gal Shop Vac I keep in the room to clean it out.

Bill

thomae
10-14-2012, 10:46 AM
For a more permanent solution, could you drill a hole through your bench and mount some sort of funnel or tube from the primer catcher tray to funnel the spent primers to the hole in the bench into which you put a tube that directs them to a larger can or bin below the bench?

Texas Solo
10-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Yep, that's it, the black "Y" shaped gadget behind the ram.
https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/images/rcbs/item/FullA/09356.jpg

To get it out spread the two halves apart a little then kinda rotate the top forward and roll it up and out. One small slip and it becomes a primer launcher! If you don't do it carefully you'll be cleaning up spent primers off the bench and floor anyway.

I just fire up the 1 gal Shop Vac I keep in the room to clean it out.

Bill

Yeah, I know HOW to get it out, it's getting it out without it becoming a "primer launcher" that I can't figure out. Guess I'm bringing the 1 gal shop vac into my reload room. Lousy design.

Texas Solo
10-14-2012, 11:14 AM
For a more permanent solution, could you drill a hole through your bench and mount some sort of funnel or tube from the primer catcher tray to funnel the spent primers to the hole in the bench into which you put a tube that directs them to a larger can or bin below the bench?

Your kidding, right?

thomae
10-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Your kidding, right?Nope. (Sorry to disappoint you.) That's how I have my decapping station set up. It's in a Lee press, so the setup is slightly different. Primers fall through some copper pipe and end up in a bin underneath the workbench.

Big Old Boy
10-15-2012, 12:45 AM
mine was the same way mounted a quart jar lid under bench when full unscrew jar dump in trash.

M.O.A.
10-15-2012, 05:01 AM
Thanks Trent I never even thought of that ;-)

Texas Solo
10-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Nope. (Sorry to disappoint you.) That's how I have my decapping station set up. It's in a Lee press, so the setup is slightly different. Primers fall through some copper pipe and end up in a bin underneath the workbench.

In your setup, I can understand the system. But if you look at the primer tray in the above pictured Rock Chucker, you'll see that there isn't a good way to do that.

thomae
10-15-2012, 10:13 AM
In your setup, I can understand the system. But if you look at the primer tray in the above pictured Rock Chucker, you'll see that there isn't a good way to do that.From the picture, it is not so clear to me whether or not it is possible to do that. Not seeing the press from all sides, and in three dimensions, I was not sure. Hence my question.
Hey, it's all good, and we continue to learn from each other. That is what this forum is all about, right?

BillPa
10-15-2012, 12:58 PM
From the picture, it is not so clear to me whether or not it is possible to do that. Not seeing the press from all sides, and in three dimensions, I was not sure. Hence my question.

The primers are supposed to fall to the rear and to one side or another into the catch trays and for the most part they do, but some end up on the flat behind the ram plus a fair amount of the primer residue. With the Vac and one flick of the switch I "kill to stones with one bird", empty the trays and clean up the crud on and around the press.

Bill

helotaxi
10-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Coming from the joke that was the primer catcher on the Lyman T-mag press (I think it actually threw more spent primers on the floor than it caught), the primer recovery system on the Lee Breechlock press was a miracle wrought in cast aluminum. It actually worked and the tube just routed the spent primers right into my scrap brass bucket. It still has the problem of leaving residue all over the bottom of the press though. It has no been replaced on the bench with a Forster Co-ax which has a completely sealed primer catch system which means no more lead tainted grit all over my press!

Willoughby
10-15-2012, 01:42 PM
my rock chucker -primer catcher sits in front of the ram & works great

devildogandboy
10-15-2012, 05:39 PM
my rock chucker -primer catcher sits in front of the ram & works great

you must have the older version where the spent primer tray looks like an horseshoe. that's what i had and it did work great!!

6mmBR_Shooter
10-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Use a vacuum to get the primers. A shop vac works great.

That's what I have to do every so often on my Lee turret as well.