PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions regarding bolt sticking and safety engagement

10-13-2012, 08:14 PM
I have a savage model 10fp .308 that I purchased earlier this year. At first I had problems with a burr in the chamber. It would badly scratch the brass and make it hard to extract. I sent the rifle back to savage and they fixed the burr in the chamber. I have shot my rifle recently and have been having a problem with the bolt not opening. Doing some research on this forum I think my problem is a primary extractor problem. However, Sometimes when I pull the bolt back it causes the safety to be pushed back into the middle safe position. I am wondering if anyone else has that problem? Could the safety being pushed be part of the primary extractor problem?

Another issue I had is I put a reloaded round into the chamber while hunting, when I tried to eject the round the case came out, but the bullet stayed in the chamber. I loaded the round to .280 oal, I understand I didn't get the bullet in tight enough, but should the bullet have stuck in the barrel like that? Could there be a problem with my chamber length? How would I check that?

Thanks for any information you guys can give me.

243LPR
10-13-2012, 10:35 PM
You need an OAL gage or you can get a rough idea by marking a cleaning rod with the bolt closed on an empty chamber and then again with just a bullet inserted to the lands(you might have to hold the backside of the bullet tight against lands with a pencil or something). Measure the distance between the 2 marks and thats your rough OAL(the redneck way).