PDA

View Full Version : Subtending for leupold scope

Nandy
10-12-2012, 11:24 PM
I have a vx3 4.5-10x50 illuminated reticule Leupold scope and want to know how many inches does the cross hairs covers at 100 yds at min magnification. I had it but lost it. I called Leupold and they told me to order a catalog and the information is there but I cant wait that long...

Thanks.

M.O.A.
10-12-2012, 11:40 PM
You might ask at long range hunting forum they will know for sure ;-)

J.Baker
10-13-2012, 06:08 AM
You can view Leupold's entire catalog online in PDF format at this link:
http://www.leupold.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2012_Leupold_Catalog.pdf?9d7bd4

Here's the online manual for their Ballistic Aiming Systems (ballistic reticles):
http://www.leupold.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/BAS_Inst_Manual_17July12.pdf?9d7bd4

Nandy
10-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks, seen those before but they dont seem to have the measurements I am looking for. I called Leupold in the past and they gave me the measurements of the small cross hair, the measurements from the tick post to the center of the cross hairs. I cant find where I put it. I have the illuminated duplex reticle where there is a gap between the thick pickets and the cross hairs..

J.Baker
10-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Well then, here's an idea....

Take a 2 foot piece of cardboard and mark your aimpoint a few inches from the bottom. Now shoot it at 100 yards using a good solid rest, shooting a shot holding on each hash mark you want to know the spacing on. So if you have three hash marks you'd shoot 4 shots...

First shot = crosshair on marked aim point
Second shot = first hash on marked aim point
Third shot = second hash on marked aim point
Fourth shot = third hash on marked aim point

Then just measure how far from your aim point each shot printed on the cardboard and you'll know the spacing for that hash mark.

davemuzz
10-14-2012, 04:53 PM
then just measure how far from your aim point each shot printed on the cardboard and you'll know the spacing for that hash mark.

bada bing!!!

Nandy
10-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Well then, here's an idea....

Take a 2 foot piece of cardboard and mark your aimpoint a few inches from the bottom. Now shoot it at 100 yards using a good solid rest, shooting a shot holding on each hash mark you want to know the spacing on. So if you have three hash marks you'd shoot 4 shots...

First shot = crosshair on marked aim point
Second shot = first hash on marked aim point
Third shot = second hash on marked aim point
Fourth shot = third hash on marked aim point

Then just measure how far from your aim point each shot printed on the cardboard and you'll know the spacing for that hash mark.

That sounds good but there many variables (mainly me and my ability to reload) that can give me a false reading. I was looking for the actual numbers from Leupold. What kills me is that I have called Leupold twice this week looking for that info and I have not been given it. I know that at max zoom from the thick picket to the center of the reticle it should be around 8 to 7 inches, from the top cross hair picket to the bottom cross hair picket it should be 5 to 6 inches and from thick picket to thick picket is should be 14 to 16 inches. This I deduct from the cheat-sheet I made for the 30-06 winch was right on the money. Just trying to get the real numbers...
Sent an email to leupold with a graphic as visual aid. Hopefully I will get a answer soon.