PDA

View Full Version : 22-250 AI question....and 22-250 vs 22-250 AI

300magman
12-27-2009, 03:53 PM
I've shot a 22-250 plenty of times and one thing I notice is that even with a 24" barrel it has a pretty good blast...much harder on the ears than a .223 Right now I'm thinking of using a 22-250 Ackley Improved, I don't have the measurements but it looks like it holds a fair bit more powder than the standard 22-250...so how much more blast can I except coming out of the barrel and shattering my ear drums?

I'm also curious, as I can't find any data on the round as to what kind of velocity increase I will get, particularly with heavier bullets. Ideally I'd like to be able to fire 55-65gr rounds as fast as I can now fire 45gr-50gr rounds. Is that typical or is that really pushing it?

I'm also wonder about burning out the barrel, I've been told the increased powder will be a baaadddd thing, but then I also hear that using a heavier bullet at the same velocity will be no worse, and some people have even suggested that the case design, with its steeper shoulder angle, will hold the powder in the brass better and perhaps give me a slightly improved barrel life.

Anyone with real info would be greatly appreciated.

One last thing, I see browning claiming amazingly improved barrel life in their 223wssm due to their chrome lined barrels. (They are pretty much claiming DOUBLE the useful barrel life of a standard 22-250 even with the Hot 223wssm.) I would be seriously interested in trying out a chrome lined barrel for my savage, in any of the previously mentioned calibers, if anyone knows where to get such a thing. I can't find any barrel maker that chrome lines their barrels. (I'm told its an accuracy thing..but I could live with a little less in my varmint rig for 1.5-2X the barrel life

sparks1
12-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Not having a 22-250 or a 22-250AI I can't speak from experience. So take what I say with that in mind.

With the increased powder capacity in the AI you can expect more blast, but increased velocity. Barrel life could be expected to be a bit less. I guess it's the trade-off on should expect. A heavier bullet could be used with the gain in powder capacity, but one would have to look at the rate of twist to stabilize them.

As far as Brownings claims...remember that they are trying to sell a product. So take their claims with care. I would listen to shooters who have this caliber before listening to a manafacturer's or gun writers claim. I have never read a gunwriter who doesn't like a gun or caliber. If they wrote bad about it they would be out of the perks they get, and possibly a job.

Eric in NC
12-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Well first off - if you are shooting a 22-250 without hearing protection, start saving some big bucks for hearing aids (been there done that - you can't get your hearing back and the electronic muffs they have now are cheap and amazing).

That being said - yes more powder down the same hole increases wear and blast. However the 22-250 AI isn't that bad at wear (although I wouldn't shoot one without hearing protection unless it was in a personal defense situation). You get about a 200 to 300 FPS boost over the standard 22-250 with the AI version (depending on bullet weight, barrel length, etc.).

As far as chrome lining - yes they last longer and yes they aren't as accurate (can't control the thickness of the plating to the degree needed for super accuracy). Don't know of anyone that makes chrome lined barrels for anything other than ARs and FALs etc.

savageboy
12-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Eric hit the nail on the head on all points- blast, velocity, and barrel wear. Now, how about a 26" barrel so more of the powder burns inside the barrel where it is useful to you vs. a fireball and wasting all that extra energy in the atmosphere! Unless its to be a lightweight walking varmiter, you wont really notice the difference when shooting off a bench and you will pick up fps, and maybe less blast. If it were me, that is what I'd do.

WaltherP99
12-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Well first off - if you are shooting a 22-250 without hearing protection, start saving some big bucks for hearing aids (been there done that - you can't get your hearing back and the electronic muffs they have now are cheap and amazing).

Agreed there! Take it from another fellow shooter who has to wear a hearing aid due to not wearing ear protection! That $1500 (with SIGNIFICANT discounts) I spent on mine was going to a build I was planning!

I've heard barrel life can be better in the AI also. Other than that, I can't give a fair assessment of it! I do shoot a regular .22-250 and have thought about get it "Ackleyized"!

savageboy
12-27-2009, 05:37 PM
It makes a good ackley and is worth the effort in fireforming vs say a .308 or something where there isnt that much gain 4 all the effort.

I have 2 Ackleys- .223 and 260. One other benefit is that u'll prob wear out the primer pockets b4 having to trim the brass. The 40 deg shoulder causes the brass to not grow when fired anywhere near what the parent round does. My .223 brass grows much more than the ackley.

mctjeep
12-27-2009, 10:26 PM
FN uses a chrome lined barrel on their SPR rifles. They have had a few batches come out that the chrome is peeling off and the one i shot wasn't very accurate for the price.

kslefty
12-27-2009, 10:27 PM
I shoot a 22-250 AI with a 27" barrel. As far as real world velocity I get 3300-3400 fps out of the 75gr a-max, the 60gr v-max is 3600 easily, probably more speed available. I try to use a slow powder like RL22 to keep my cases full, other powders might be better for pure speed. Be warned that the improved cases never feed as well as the parent cases due to the steep shoulders and lack of taper.

300magman
12-28-2009, 02:38 PM
3600fps for a 60gr is a bit disappointing....I haven't fired any through a chrono to see what a regular 22-250 is actually spitting them out at, but I believe 3600fps is what is written on the box for a factory 26" test barrel.

As for the rounds not feeding as well...do they just resist slightly? Or do they pop out and fly all over hell, or jam the bullet against the side/bottom/top of the chamber and possibly deform it or knock it off center alignment if it isn't crimped into the case with a lot of pressure?? Those things would concern me.

kslefty
12-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Mainly the rounds will jump out of the feed lips easier than regular rounds, not a real problem and maybe none at all if you are using a centerfeed model. I can check my velocity readings again, the 3600 fps may be my accuracy load from my sierra manual. I usually start with their recommended accuracy load and adjust from there. I built mine for shooting heavy bullets, probably only shot it 150 times tops now I want a light weight carry gun in a varmint caliber so I may sell it.

sharpshooter
12-29-2009, 01:05 AM
I shoot 65 gr. SGK out of mine with a 26" barrel, and can get 3750 fps with H4350. They feed fine from a DBM.