PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: Boyds stock on MKII F or other sporter barrel???

The Beamer
10-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Has anyone put a Boyds stock on a MKII with a sporter or tapered barrel? Boyds site says barrel channel is for heavy barrel, just wondering if the sporter barrel looks ridiculous in the wide channel. Any pictures would be great! Anyone have the diameter of a newer model MKII sporter barrel where it leaves the forearm?

mh434
10-14-2012, 05:20 PM
I did exactly that, and it worked perfectly. I bought a Tacticool stock for my tapered-barrel F model MkII. Surprisingly, when you measure the "tapered" sport barrel, you'll find that only the last 5" (to the muzzle) is tapered - the rest of it is straight. Plus, the tapered barrel is very close in outside diameter to the bull barrel. The net result? Less than 1/16" extra gap between the barrel & stock, where the bull barrel is visibly free-floated anyway. Without measuring it, you'll never see the difference in gap between a bull barrel & a tapered one in its fit to the stock.

Here's the only picture I could take where you could even see the gap...

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/zetec7/boydsgap2.jpg

Go for it & enjoy!

squawsach
10-19-2012, 11:47 AM
I made a stock from walnut to fit a sporter barrel hunting rifle. I wanted the barrel to free float in all conditions so I made the barrel channel 1/16" larger than needed. It looked like a huge gap at first. I don't notice it at all now and I don't have to worry about the wood contacting the barrel in changing conditions. A small gap around the barrel shouldn't be a deal breaker if you find a stock you like.