PDA

View Full Version : My version of the 38 SPC bolt lift kit

Pages : 1 [2]

1960 cj6
01-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Howdy all New Guy here.Followed your instructions glad the photo was there (very new to the Savage/Stevens line) Now instead of grinding down my BAS (think that's what the nice big hex head screw that holds the bolt handle on is called) I fab'd a spacer of approx the same thickness as my ball bearing .38 special case from the rim to the top of the ball bearing and inserted it between the bolt handle and the screw. Is the acceptable? I didn't want to grind anything down until I saw that it worked as advertised. Hard to get parts up here in the Great White North (well not this year,its very green here in the Shuswap)

waylonb19
02-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Dolomite first I want to say thank you for sending me one of these. I am not a gun guru by no means but I guess I don't really understand how this works. When I put the 38 casing and bearing in there is no room to tighten down the bolt screw back in. What am I doing wrong? I just don't understand..haha. I have looked at a few different pictures and everything but for the life of me I can't figure out how to put this thing in and re-tighten the BAS? HELP!! haha

dolomite_supafly
02-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Dolomite first I want to say thank you for sending me one of these. I am not a gun guru by no means but I guess I don't really understand how this works. When I put the 38 casing and bearing in there is no room to tighten down the bolt screw back in. What am I doing wrong? I just don't understand..haha. I have looked at a few different pictures and everything but for the life of me I can't figure out how to put this thing in and re-tighten the BAS? HELP!! haha

Make sure the cocking pin is in the forward position until you get a few threads engaged then move the cocking pin to the rear. If you try to start the BAS with the cocking pin at the rear it is going to be difficult even without the bolt lift kit.

Dolomite

durango
02-21-2010, 01:52 PM
-I've got one almost done and a couple more in the process. Good ideas and I would guess we're all trying to make it as easy as it can be. Here's my way of doing it--on the depth of the ball bearing, I just used whatever drill that fit the primer pocket and, by hand (or fingers), chamfered the flash hole so the ball would fit deeper into the pocket. For the length of the BAS, I went to my local ACE hardware store and bought what they called 'machine washers'. The 1/2" size was about 3/4" OD and was available in different thicknesses of 1/16-1/8" and there may have been some SS as well. I used my disc sander to reduce the OD of the washer to approximately the size of the BAS head. My first reaction to the fit of the ID of the washer was that it may be too large (sloppy), but the washer seemed to center itsself on the bolt head and so far everything seems to be positive. A little polish and cold blue, or not, as the case may be, and it's done. Steve

waylonb19
02-21-2010, 02:52 PM
I can't get the cocking pin to go back to the rear once I put put it in and start just a few threads? This is on a Stevens action if it makes any difference?

waylonb19
02-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Ok I got it...I just had to REALLY force the cocking pin back. I just wasn't getting rough enough :D

dolomite_supafly
02-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Ok I got it...I just had to REALLY force the cocking pin back. I just wasn't getting rough enough :D

This is one of the reasons they say to remove the thickness of the kit from the BAS or cocking pin.

Dolomite

LeeH
02-21-2010, 07:25 PM
I just installed one of Dolomite's kits (Thanks Gordon) in a 112 LA with no grinding, washers
or mods and it cut the bolt lift by half and super smooth!!.

dolomite_supafly
02-21-2010, 08:20 PM
I just installed one of Dolomite's kits (Thanks Gordon) in a 112 LA with no grinding, washers
or mods and it cut the bolt lift by half and super smooth!!.

Just to clarify, this was one of my 38 special kits and not the new design. LeeH should have the new design sometime this week for testing.

Dolomite

dcloco
05-10-2010, 01:06 AM
Dolomite Supafly - trying my hand at making a couple of these tonight. Will finish both in the morning.

drybean
05-10-2010, 09:33 AM
dolomite supafly
w0uld be happy to pay for your time an
troubal for one of these
thanks
drybean

RW
05-10-2010, 05:18 PM
dolomite supafly are you or any one else making these up for a price I would sure like to try one if you or some one else does e-mail me at rongwoodsranch@msn.com Thank You RW

dolomite_supafly
05-10-2010, 09:29 PM
I do not sell these. There is a reason I make them and it isn't to make money. Those that have gotten them know the reason and I am not going to get into it in public.

Thanks
Dolomite

BTW, PM inbound drybean

dolomite_supafly
05-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Dolomite Supafly - trying my hand at making a couple of these tonight. Will finish both in the morning.

The pictures I posted are of my first version. I have since started doing a few other things to hopefully make them better. I stake the setscrew in place as well as use red loctite. Not sure if it needs staking but it certainly can't hurt. I also found that using a tubing cutter makes it easier to cut the cases as well, especially if you are doing a few at a time like I try to on my "good" days.

Also, SS setscrews don't seem to be as hard as the carbon steel ones. The SS setscrews wear a bit while the carbon ones don't seem to.

McMaster Carr sells pointed setscrews pretty cheap in packs. They had exactly waht I was needing without having to grind or shape the heads to get them to work.

Dolomite

dcloco
05-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Dolomite - took my latest build to the bench today. There is better bolt lift with this kit installed.

I used two part epoxy on the screw.

Thanks for the pictures - as the saying goes - worth a thousand words.

Still in the motel/kitchenette. So, had to buy a small vice, dremel, flat file, tap, and correct size drill bits. NOT complaining...as I do like to buy tools (not like I need any...but my house is 655 miles from here!!).

Take care...and thanks again.

Kawabuggy
05-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Anyone recommend a place a guy could find a 38/357 shell casing???? Any other sizes work? I have a piece of every other type of brass (common calibers) except one of those! I'm going to try this on one of my guns and if it works-I'll be a happy camper! If it matters, I have a lathe and could turn down another piece of brass to the correct dimensions, if someone can tell me what those dimensions are!

dcloco
05-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Anyone recommend a place a guy could find a 38/357 shell casing???? Any other sizes work? I have a piece of every other type of brass (common calibers) except one of those! I'm going to try this on one of my guns and if it works-I'll be a happy camper! If it matters, I have a lathe and could turn down another piece of brass to the correct dimensions, if someone can tell me what those dimensions are!

0.378" on the case
0.434" on the rim of the casehead