PDA

View Full Version : Prefit price question???

va78
10-10-2012, 09:53 PM
I have got to ask this...I called shilen many months ago for my dad he wanted a new barrel for his .243. So I asked the lovely lady to give me a price on a prefit directly from them.. He wanted it to finish at 26" nothing out of the ordinary. The price was 550 plus threaded chambered and crowned. Now correct me if I am wrong but there is a supplier on here that sells them for under 400 threaded, chambered, crowned.. Something is wrong with this picture.. Why would shilen sell them directly for the said price and then someone else is selling the same product that shilen sells for under 400. I dont mind a cussing if I'm way wrong.. But if I'm not there is something fishy about that whole thing......I hope I'm wrong actually

va78
10-10-2012, 10:01 PM
I guess from a buisness standpoint why would shilen bother taking orders if NSS can get rid off the prefit's for them? Or why have someone sell them for you for 299-350 when you can have a larger profit margin and sell them for the price I was quoted.. I dont know I asked a few people about it and they agree that it's kind of odd. Or maybe they just pump them out without the attention to detail that a good chamber requires..And worn out reemer's......I'm probably gunna piss someone off here but I just want a legit answer

geargrinder
10-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Employee's making barrels makes more money than paying people to answer calls and questions. They'd rather sell barrels to Jim and not pay people to deal with tire kickers.

nsaqam
10-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Oftentimes companies sell directly at a higher price than that available through their dealers.

They do this to support and promote these dealers.

I know I can buy a McMillan stock from Rick Bin for less than I can get the same stock for directly from McMillan.

Another possibility is that the grade of the barrel is different.

Then there is the limited contours stocked by NSS. I know that a bull barrel is a lot cheaper to make than a #2 Sporter contour.

va78
10-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Thank you for clairifying that for me....good point!!!

va78
10-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Who is rick bin? id like to get an A5

northlander
10-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Shilen gives its dealers a discount off of their retail pricing. If you go directly through Shilen you will be quoted their retail pricing. When we offer the Shilen Barrels to our customers we are willing to offer these barrels at a discount off of the retail pricing. Our pricing is set by ourselves and we elect to offer our customers a more attractive portion of our discount.

I try to operate like a car dealer that offers a one price discount to everyone. We have no additional discounts that we can fall back on. We try to offer our best pricing at all times.

Jim Briggs
NSS

geargrinder
10-10-2012, 11:29 PM
He runs 24hourcampfire.com

Go to the forum there and you'll see an advertisement there.

rrflyer
10-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Midway has em in stock for 330

northlander
10-11-2012, 06:59 AM
When you are looking at a Shilen Barrel you have both the Stainless Select Match and the Stainless Match. Midway offers the Stainless Match. I have not seen Midway offer the Stainless Select Match.

As long as you are aware of this you can compare apples and apples when you are price shopping.

Jim Briggs
NSS

10-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Midway may have the barrels, but they sure as heck don't have a guy of Mr. Briggs' caliber answering all your questions and getting you exactly what you need!!! Worth a good bit of $$$ if you ask me!

northlander
10-11-2012, 10:27 PM
I certainly appreciate the kind words but if you check you will see that our pricing is lower by about $20.00 per barrel on the Shilen Stainless Match that we offer. We are still offering the Stainless Select Match for $339.00. Our Stainless Select Match pricing is $20.00 over the current retail that others have on the Stainless Match. You are not paying more to order through NSS, you are saving $20.00 on average on a per barrel price.

Jim Briggs
NSS

rrflyer
10-12-2012, 12:28 AM
I have one of Jim's barrels already and in fact talked to him a few days ago about a 243 barrel. If he had one in a 7.5 twist I would have bought it.

Jim's help has been worth a few bucks for sure. But the fact that hes knowledgable and cheaper is a double bonus.

I was merely pointing out that if someone needed a Shilen 243 barrel now! there was one available because Jim said he happened to be out of the Shilen barrels in that setup.

Although he did have the criterions available.

10-12-2012, 11:48 PM
I never said he was more expensive, I just said they can't stand up to his service..................