PDA

View Full Version : Tubbs final finish bore polishing system

mike14837
10-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Hi, i have a savage 308 that i would like to get a little more accuracy out of. Im just curious if anyone has used tubbs final finish ive heard nothin but good things about it. thanks

jonbearman
10-10-2012, 07:13 PM
I have a pta .308 with the 30 inch barrel .It shot fair but for the money I was disgusted. I tried tubbs bullets and loaded them up and fired away and cleaned as instructed.It now shoots way better without ridiculous flyers.

pta equals precision target action fclass factory rifle.

darkker
10-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Personally think it is a horrible idea to shoot sandpaper coated bullets......
MZ5 has a POS that is so rough(grabs copper anywhere within the same county) that it is similar to the "Corrugated drain pipe" in the "axis" forum. He tried that, and it "helped" IIRC.

I think at best it is a band-aid.
JMO, YMMV

Blue Avenger
10-10-2012, 09:06 PM
takes material out of the barrel, but if it won't shoot then 1/2 life is better then no life.

MZ5
10-10-2012, 11:49 PM
I've used Final Finish before. It did absolutely, positively NOTHING useful to the rifle I used it in. I've used Beartooth Bullets' fire-lapping system, and NECO's as well. Beartooth's worked best. NECO's is okay, and superficially at least looks a lot like final finish. I like Beartooth's System by far the best, though if ever I fire lap another rifle I'll likely use NECO's abrasives with Beartooth's dead-soft cast bullets and loading concept.

That said, truly good results for me, in more than one rifle, have only been obtained via the combination of fire lapping and Ultra Bore Coat. Fire lapping alone has been distinctly helpful, and UBC has worked alone, but the really bad ones (fouling I'm talking about; I haven't had a bad shooter 'fixed' by either thing) need lapped followed by UBC.

jonbearman
10-11-2012, 08:17 AM
I was stating my opinion of my results.If it didnt work for you then it didnt work . I would have called tubb and told him that.Maybe you deviated slightly from his instructions or you used 1 box of his ammo and quit.My kit had 50 bullets and made a spectacular difference. And by the way,it is not sand paper covered bullets.

Jamie
10-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Hi, i have a savage 308 that i would like to get a little more accuracy out of. Im just curious if anyone has used tubbs final finish ive heard nothin but good things about it. thanks

I have used them in 4 factory barrels. One did not improve three did, plain and simple.

jonbearman
10-11-2012, 08:42 AM
exactly.

Grayfox
10-11-2012, 09:19 AM
It worked for me.
My 260 rem went from shooting 1 1/4" groups to 1/2". I shot all 50 bullets in the order stated in the directions. The rough factory barrel looks alot better.
Grayfox

brtelec
10-11-2012, 11:34 AM
I have used the David Tubbs system in four rifles so far. In two of them there was a very slight accuracy improvement, the other two nothing I could discern. The biggest difference was in fouling and cleaning. I was surprised at how easy it was to clean them and how many more rounds I could put through before noticing a loss in accuracy.

stomp442
10-11-2012, 01:35 PM
I have only used it once on a Ruger 22 build I did and it worked amazingly. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

bigedp51
10-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Before and after fire lapping, in a standard button rifled Savage barrel. The groups improved somewhat and the barrel was easier to clean, only half the fire lapping bullets were used.

Below, new unfired barrel (top) and after fire lapping (bottom).

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/firelapping-b.jpg

As a comparison above you can see the fire lapping removed the "high spots" from the rifling above.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/990900081.jpg

And sometimes nothing will help an ugly barrel.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/roughbore.jpg

Below a custom made hand lapped barrel.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/custombore.jpg

mike14837
10-12-2012, 08:37 PM
awsome pics bigedp51 thanks

Txhillbilly
10-12-2012, 11:15 PM
I had a major "Copper Mine" with my 25/06.It would only group 100 gr bullets,everything else looked like a shotgun pattern.
It would take days of cleaning to get all of the copper out of the bore.I lapped the barrel twice,with little improvement with copper fouling.
I used the Tubbs Final Finish system as a last chance,and it worked very well.The rifle shoots almost any weight bullet,and has very little copper fouling,plus it cleans up very easy.

I would use this product on any rifle that has copper fouling issues in the future.