PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Factory ON/OFF Muzzle Brake???

Pages : 1 [2]

Uncle Jack
12-31-2009, 01:04 AM
Those wouln't be left hand tactical bolt handles, would they?

uj

TheShootist1894
12-31-2009, 01:14 AM
HAHA, just cause we chat at the gunshow doesn't mean he can magically make LH bolt handles for me. .. these are the rough cast ones Fred has been selling

Don - LongRangeSupply
12-31-2009, 01:21 PM
You'd be surprized how much recoil reduction that factory brake is good for...
It's only about 20%. If you think the Shrewd brake is better than the Vais, bring it over and we can test it on my recoil fixture.

I was amazed how much difference that factory brake made.

Have you tested the Armalite brake? or the Holland? By "feel" the Armalite is the most effective I have ever used but the back blast is pretty strong, particularly in the 50 BMG. It makes a 338 Lapua feel like a 243.

sharpshooter
12-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Recoil reduction will vary with the caliber and powder to bullet weight ratio. I've never tested an Armalite brake, but if it is of the clamshell type and redirects gas rearward, that type is really hard on scopes.
I've tested both Holland brakes and the original was only good for about 25%, the quick discharge model was slightly better at 35. Any brake with vent holes angling forward, typically done for noise control, will sacrafice about 50% of it's braking capability only to lose about 5 decibels of noise.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/sharp-shooter/recoilfixture.jpg
The fixture rides on Thompson linear ball bearings and slides approx. 30". When you have a rifle in the fixture it has 1 lb of rolling resistance when measured with a trigger pull gauge. The tape measure attached will unroll itself when in motion.
Larger calibers require more weight to be added to create more resistance so the scarriage will not bottom out at the end of it's travel.
The trigger is activated by a seperate arm that is tipped forward to trip the trigger without interfering with the free travel.

TheShootist1894
12-31-2009, 11:50 PM
What is that big green machine doing in your shop???

I thought you were beyond that Fred . . .

sharpshooter
01-01-2010, 02:49 PM
That "green machine" is in that fixture to prove how worthless the slots are in the barrel of that Rem VTR. It recoiled the same with or without the slots blocked. All it does it make it louder.

Appleseed
01-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Am about to add a break to a .243. Have to reduce both recoil and concussion. How does the Mussel Break stack up to these others?

sharpshooter
01-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Have to reduce both recoil and concussion. You can reduce recoil by re-directing the gases, the concussion will still be there although it is in a different direction

How does the Mussel Break stack up to these others? Dunno, I've not tested one yet.

TheShootist1894
01-01-2010, 11:54 PM
That "green machine" is in that fixture to prove how worthless the slots are in the barrel of that Rem VTR. It recoiled the same with or without the slots blocked. All it does it make it louder.

I remember you talking about that now that you mention it. . . yet another unnecessary innovation from the other side of the fence. . .

Triangle barrels, integral slot muzzle brake thingys, customer adjustable triggers that are no better than the original. . . . and pretty much the exact same action they've been using for almost 50 years. .. .innovation

The 110 may still be called the 110, but it is no where near the rifle they brought out back in '58. . .

Appleseed
01-02-2010, 02:18 PM
My misspelling...that should be Muscle Break from Center Shot Rifles.

What brakes tame recoil the best for small to medimum calibers, .223, .243, .260?

sharpshooter
01-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Mine, of coarse. ;D

wbm
01-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Never used a Vais but I know they are good. My shoulder (better than a measurement on a mechanical instrument) tells me the Shrewd is fairly effective...at least on a 300WSM and 7MM Magnum.