PDA

View Full Version : Hog hunter stock quality

Rgray107918
10-08-2012, 06:39 AM
Brand spanking new member here!

I was wondering if any hog hunter owners could comment on the quality of the stock?

If I purchase, the hog hunter will be my first bolt action. I'm not looking for anything stellar in the stock but would like to know if it's a stock the average shooter could put up with for a while.

I've handled some other model rifles so if anyone could compare/comment I would really appreciate it.
Models I've handled:
ruger american
savage axis
remmy 770
hopefully marlin xs7 soon if my buddy actually orders it

Werewolf
10-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Looks like youve handled a good selection of the entry level guns on the market. Just about anything has a better stock than those. At least with the hog hunter, if you dont like the stock you can get a replacement. The others are either difficult or non existent. Ruger american and savage axis have very little aftermarket support, and I havent heard ANYBODY say anything good about the remington 770.

TraverseSavage
10-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Hi Rgray,

The stock, honestly, is the biggest POS I've ever handled (ask me why and I'll go down the list). That being said, I went in buying the Hog Hunter knowing I was going to change the stock. It was basically a donor action/barrel. The rifle machinery seems to be inline with Savage quality, although this is my first Savage - not a big fan of the cocking indicator. I got my for $414 out the door INCLUDING the transfer fee.

My thoughts on purchasing the Hog: the three or so other rifles that I looked (or narrowed down to anyway), in my mind, needed (again, my opinion) an aftermarket stock. Came down to Savage quality and this website, actually. The Hog was exactly what I was looking for, sans the stock. A new stock cost and a DBM added to the initial cost of the Hog gave me exactly what I wanted in a rifle. Most, if not all, stocks on these less-than-$500 rifles have "less-than" quality stocks. You get what you pay for.

Haven't shot it yet though, let me know if you have any questions about the rifle. BTW, I'm not after hog with my build.

Rgray107918
10-15-2012, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm looking at the hog hunter as an all around decent rifle. I don't expect it to do anything superbly, but I suspect it will do many things well.

I was thinking about the possibility of needing to change the stock on any rifle I purchase (because I'm limiting myself to under $500 and am planning on crappy stocks at that price point), but was hoping to get something that I could live with until I could figure out what stock I wanted.

TraverseSavage, what stock did you end up going with? Also, what manufacturer/kit did you use to convert to DBM? I was kind of thinking along the same lines as you, that down the line I would do some modifications to end up with the rifle I really want. Seems like a savage action, iron sights, and heavy barrel already threaded is a good platform to build off of as I get the funds/desire.

Thanks.

TraverseSavage
10-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm looking at the hog hunter as an all around decent rifle. I don't expect it to do anything superbly, but I suspect it will do many things well.

I was thinking about the possibility of needing to change the stock on any rifle I purchase (because I'm limiting myself to under $500 and am planning on crappy stocks at that price point), but was hoping to get something that I could live with until I could figure out what stock I wanted.

TraverseSavage, what stock did you end up going with? Also, what manufacturer/kit did you use to convert to DBM? I was kind of thinking along the same lines as you, that down the line I would do some modifications to end up with the rifle I really want. Seems like a savage action, iron sights, and heavy barrel already threaded is a good platform to build off of as I get the funds/desire.

Thanks.

The stock DBM combo I am going with is: http://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-Center-Feed-SA-Choate-CDI-Drop-Mag.-Package.html My only concern is the stock contour for the barrel on the Choate stock will not follow the taper of the Hog barrel, although it will be close. Not a super big deal, just aesthetics.

I agree, nice platform to build on and a good bargain with the Hog. You get a semi-heavy barrel, iron sights, good action, and a threaded barrel (if that's a plus for someone). My preference would have been a heavier barrel, but I can live with the Hog's "Savage Heavy Sporter" is what Shilen calls it. Maybe some day will pick up another Hog in .223 and purchase a Shilen Varmint barrel.

Again, haven't shot it yet. But I'm sure that right out of the box you'll be good to go. Got mine in .308. Will be doing the stock/DBM mod. soon and will be attaching an SWFA 10x SS scope on a quick release. Not looking for a 800 yarder or dime-size accuracy (will be happy if I get that though ;)). Maybe will have a max. of 200 yard shot.

I chose the Hog for: the 20-in. barrel, pre-installed irons, price, twist-rate, heavier barrel, and Savage's accuracy reputation and after-market parts availability.

yoter
07-31-2013, 07:46 PM
I still have the factory stock. Mine is intended for tough field use. I did add a Hawktec padded cheek pad for better cheek weld with a scope.

Hubcap91
07-31-2013, 07:55 PM
I like mine okay. I bought it just for dear season this year. My other bolt guns are either too pretty or too heavy to take in the woods. My area has very thick brush and no opportunities for long range shots, so I'm only using the iron sights.

aka:Cliff
07-31-2013, 09:52 PM
I have one in 308 and it is doing ok so far.
Will be going out on a hunt this November to really test it.

I've heard that they are a bit flexible, as in bendy. but if you dont use it as a walking stick in a high heat area, you should be fine.