PDA

View Full Version : Do you hear the firing pin strike the primer?

Pages : 1 [2]

BillPa
02-04-2010, 09:34 AM
Well Jim, tell us how you make them work. ;D

Its 50-50, Seems that "technique" in case prep, or seating must enter into this. OOOOORRRR, you are just one lucky man. You have managed to get "good lots" for the last 5 years. ;)

Like Jim, I use a lot of CCIs, mostly BR2-4s without problems. Fact is, if your having trouble with them you either have a rifle or a loading problem, maybe a combination of both.

As far as the 414-760 powders are concerned, we almost exclusively use those powders in the '06s, but with 215s. Over the years we're noticed some wild ES numbers using LR primers with them especially in cooler weather, but not with LRMs.

As a side note IMR-4007SSC has shown some promise ( velocity-accuracy) with 150-165s in the '06s

Bill

Stu
02-04-2010, 01:33 PM
I too have had this same problem. CCI primers only. I had a couple of hundred to try and after the first loads i tossed the rest. Pull the trigger, click..... twiddle my thumbs, then bang. A couple never got farther then the thumb thing.(complete misfire). And this was all out of 20 rounds. Had five or six delays and two misfires out of the first 14 rounds.

EFBell
02-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Wow, I never had a single misfire with CCI's. Have had 3 or so with Remington 9-1/2's. Now maybe I'll be jinxed.

Quickshot
02-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Good grief, I've been using CCI-450s in .223 since the year 2000. Have never had a hang fire. I must be living right or could it be that I don't full around with odd loads and stick to the proper procedures. Never have tried to minimize loads or maximize. Accuracy seems to come just under max. Be careful, be safe. ??? Quick

hunter2
02-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Have had some delays with 3 different kind of primers ( 2 srp and spp ) in a 300 whisper. Found that I was seating the bullet so fast it was backing the primer out a little. LC brass. Loading a hot 243 - cci 250 and Fed. - using ww760. No primer would work with this powder in this shell! When you can hear and feel the firing pin hit - THAT AIN'T RIGHT. 7mm-08 with 414, same problem, but started using aa2460 with great success. So far no bad primers, just bad loading procedures.