PDA

View Full Version : Sear problem

Grizzly2279
10-06-2012, 01:01 PM
I need a little advice. I bought a rifle off of gunbroker a few days ago, and have found the reason that the gun was being sold. The holes in the sear where the pin slides through, are wore out. The wore out holes along with the sear spring tension is causing the small tab that holds the firing pin back to rub the action, keeping it from resetting when the bolt is lifted. I got on the parts finder at Savage Arms and entered the serial number but since this is one of the older E serial numbers the part is no longer available. My question for you guys is this... are the sears on the guns with the accutrigger the same as the pre-accutrigger sears? I know the newest sears dont have the bolt release that sticks up beside the action, but on the older accutrigger models that do have the bolt release... are they the same?

Thanks for any help!!!!
Cary Howard

Shoot-N-Nut
10-06-2012, 07:00 PM
I havent pulled one apart but wouldnt the parts from the Stevens work seeing they dont have the accu-trigger?

BillPa
10-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I have doubts the sear is worn, they're hard, a file won't even cut them. If anything is worn it would the pin, but then you would see some clear evidence of it.

If it works outside the stock my guess the sear is contacting the stock somewhere.

Bill

geargrinder
10-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Brownells has them for fairly cheap.

Grizzly2279
10-07-2012, 08:31 AM
The sear will not work outside the stock. I have taken the trigger out of the bracket, and manually pushed the sear down and the spring will not push it back up. I can see that the piece that holds the firing pin back is rubbing on the inside of the action. If I stick a screwdriver down inside and pry the tab away from the action it will pop back up. I can she the entire assembly shifting when I very lightly pry on it.

BillPa
10-07-2012, 12:28 PM
I can see that the piece that holds the firing pin back is rubbing on the inside of the action. If I stick a screwdriver down inside and pry the tab away from the action it will pop back up. I can she the entire assembly shifting when I very lightly pry on it.

The "shift" you see is pretty much common. Since it only seems to be binding at the very bottom of it's movement it may be its slightly warped or there is a burr on the edge. Its a stamped piece, so imperfections aren't out of the ordinary. I would remove everything then install the sear without the torsion spring so I can feel and see at what point its hanging up an go from there. You can use a stone to remove any high spots or any burrs on the edges.

With that said sometimes the sear in binding at the attachment pin giving the impression its binding elsewhere. Usually in that instance lightly tapping the "ears" of the sear outward with a pin punch solves the problem. When I install a sear its standard practice, part of the job.

Without having it on the bench its tough to tell you exactly what's happening, but before I started buying and changing parts I'd look a little deeper and see exactly why its hanging up.

Bill

stangfish
10-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Pictures?!!!

BillPa
10-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Pictures?!!!

I have to apologize, I "misspeeked" when I said I tap the ears of the sear outward. I should have said the ears on the trigger housing where the pin goes through it. A times when installing the pin it forces one side or the other outward depending with side of the action its pushed in from and rubs on the sear causing it to bind. Taping it allow the housing to spring back to it's normal width if you will.

The "dog leg" on the trigger housing in this picture seem to be the worst offender if the pin is installed from the other side.
http://i50.tinypic.com/2i710.jpg

stangfish
10-08-2012, 02:05 AM
Note to self: never buy rifle parts from bill, more than likely they have had a hammer taken to them. :behindsofa:

Werewolf
10-08-2012, 10:37 AM
To answer one of the original questions, the accutrigger and pre accutrigger sears are not the same, and use different springs. I do agree with Bill that you should figure out the problem first to make sure a new part will even fix it. There should be a small amount of play in the parts to KEEP them from binding.

Sounds like something is bent. We need to see it!