PDA

View Full Version : New to Forum and New to Savage (just got a 111 package, 30-06)

rmdailey
10-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Howdy, my name is Robert

It was birthday time for me and I got a New Savage and joined the club. I shopped around and found a 111 package deal on 30-06 for $299. Black Stock, blued finish, bushnell scope, removable magazine and NO accutrigger. I normally hang out at the 1911 forum and someone recommended a rifle basics trigger and I ordered one for $85. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

I want to get a nice stock (wood or laminate) maybe even one somebody took off theirs. The problem I have is boyd's (for example) only sells stocks for a "blind magazine" This question has probably been answered but I couldn't find it

I have decent wood working skills: so can I just mod a "blind" stock to accept the mag, if so is there a how-to somewhere? Or is there a way to just get the parts for a internal magazine?

Thanks

jonbearman
10-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Welcome to our forum,you should try stockys as they have a good selection of stocks. Secondly I would suggest stockade stocks at 1-308-432-5114 and ask to speak with kevin rayhill.I have owned 2 of his stocks and worked out quite nicely.There is a couple of his stocks for sale on the for sale section,but you have to be a paid member for 12.00 a month which I highly suggest.Jim briggs is another fella to help you at 1-763-682-4296.

MaDa
10-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Parts are are available to make your rifle a blind magazine if you choose. If you are somewhat crafty I suppose you could inlet your own future wood blind mag stock to accept the magazines since you already have the hardware, and you have a template (the original stock) as a reference.

Welcome to the forum.

rmdailey
10-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll practice inletting on a block of wood, I may just go with a blind mag, but it seems pretty straight forward, a dremil, multitool wood carving tools, and the parts for a template from the parts.

rmdailey
10-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Ok now I'm looking for a good bi-pod. I'm going to get a blind mag boyd laminate stock when money allows and then retrofit the box mag, I'll also add checkering on my own. but now I'm shopping for a bi-pod, but I don't know anything about what are good brands of bipods, how do they attach, etc?

MaDa
10-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Harris are typically seen as a good manufacturer. Attach via the stud on the stock.