PDA

View Full Version : Camo For coyotes?

KMAY
12-26-2009, 03:45 PM
I just picked up a stevens 200 from academy so it has the tan stock and was wondering what is the best way to camo it? I have been thinking of just getting some of that Krylon Fusion spray pain and just get some leaves and stuff to use as stencles. Do synthetic stocks need any prep for painting?

Also does anyone have any pattern suggestions?

pa_wdchuckhuntr
12-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Here's what I did. I had the gray stock so I painted gray & white bands on it then held field grass against it and sprayed over it green. If I did it again I'd use brown instead of green but I doubt the critters care, most have low color sensitivity. The biggest thing with camo is to use light and dark colors to break up the outline. Most painting was done with Krylon Fusion and I sanded everything to ensure good adhesion.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn212/jeremey06/IMG_1634.jpg

Jeremey

KMAY
12-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Wow that looks good. Thats a great idea with the feild grass. What did you do to prep the barrel?

pa_wdchuckhuntr
12-27-2009, 08:58 PM
I lightly sanded the barrel then painted it. I didn't sand the scope though.

You may want to look through the picture forum. Their are plenty of nice custom camo rigs to be found.

Here is some info copied from my post awhile back in the pics forum.

I started by basecoating the entire rifle (taped the scope, safety, etc.) with black krylon fusion. Then I sprayed it again with gray rustoleum texture paint to help get a better grip. Next I sprayed the white stripes with standard rustoleum and more gray texture for the gray stripes. To get the green "grass" striping I did just that and held field grass over the rifle and sprayed it with green krylon, kind of a reverse pattern.
I actually toyed with other patterns on it before I settled on this. I didn't like some of them so I'd start back over by spraying everything black again (whats a little extra paint hurt?). I did figure out it works better to start with the lightest colors first and add the darker ones rather than visa-versa.

Jeremey

Rick_W
12-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Predator Xtreme magazine had a great series on coyote vision not too long ago. I don't have the issues with me but IIRC the results showed that the best colors to use as camo for hunting coyotes are browns & greens and to stay away from black. One of the more popular camo colors, as seen by coyotes, was white. I will be back to the magazines around the first and try to remember to look up the articles.

pa_wdchuckhuntr
12-28-2009, 09:27 AM
I have read the 3 part series that Predator Xtreme published on coyote vision. I attempted to base my pattern on the conditions that occur during the time of year I hunt coyotes. That is the colors encountered in a northern hardwood landscape in the winter, gray/white/brown. I left out the brown and opted for green (painted it in the spring) because their are evergreens in my area as well. As I look at the landscape now I realize brown or red would have been a better choice but it's too cold outside to repaint it now and the wife wouldn't appreciate paint fumes in the house. There is very little black on my gun other than what is necessary for proper function.

pa_wdchuckhuntr
12-28-2009, 09:34 AM
In regards to white.
White is white no matter what the critter. If you hunt in Georgia and paint your gun white it's probably not going to work out for you. But if you hunt in a snowy area white is still going to be the best color going.

KMAY
12-28-2009, 02:39 PM
What about the color of stainless steel. Does that stick out like a sore thumb? I have seen lots of people who are using all black guns for calling and also some that are all black with a stainless barrel.

If i was going to paint the barrel how would i go about doing this?

pa_wdchuckhuntr
12-28-2009, 08:49 PM
The biggest problem with stainless is the shine not color. Bead blasted stainless won't have the glare and should be much less eye catching. As for painting, a light sanding and an application of metal primer should do the trick prior to painting.

I have seen lots of people who are using all black guns for calling and also some that are all black with a stainless barrel.

It's not the color if the gun thats the problem, it's the glare. Plenty of critters, including coyotes, are killed with non-camo firearms. If you hunt with a firearm thats not camoed you just have to be more careful about your movement. Even with camo on yourself and the firearm you can't move more than necessary and expect to be successful. Animals and people pick up on movement way before they notice color or pattern.
If your using of the shelf paints try different things until you find something that suits you. Take time to look at where you intend to hunt, from a distance, and see how it looks as a coyote approaches. I'm hunting from the edge of a hardwood forest most of the time so verticle bands of gray and white made good sense. It may not be a "perfect" camo but it will be better than nothing I hope. Don't be afraid to experiment.

KMAY
12-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Once i paint a stainless steel barrel will i ever be able to get it back to its original color? I want to experiment but dont want something irreversable. The stock i could care less about but the barrel is pretty! ;D I am thinking that the vertical bands will work well for me.

BrentWin
12-30-2009, 10:14 AM
KMAY,

If you use rattle can paint on your gun, all it takes is a little laquer thinner to take it right back off.

Here's a post I did on stock painting sometime back, maybe it will give you some ideas.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,26477.msg190342.html#msg190342

KMAY
12-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the link man. That is a great pattern. I love the way that looks. Great Job!

OkieOutlaw
12-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Here is a pic of my Varmint Sniper. The paint seems to fit right in with our red river mud color with shadows.http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/5336/varmintsniper.jpg

sharpshooter
12-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Looks cool.....but it's still shiney ;D

OkieOutlaw
12-31-2009, 11:08 AM
That pic was before I changed the scope to a CenterPoint 4x16x40 and used Krylon Fusion ultra flat on the scope and barrel along with a generous coating of rustoleum flat black as a base coat on the metal. I then added splotches of the dark brown fusion to break up any pattern on barrel, stock and scope. Shines a lot less now.

sharpshooter
12-31-2009, 09:40 PM
One thing alot of guys forget to do....if you are using Butler Creek flip up scope caps, don't forget to camo the inside of the front one. The inside of that cap is glossy and can be very reflective if the sun is right.

usngunner
01-18-2010, 02:18 AM
Personally, I stick to tans and browns with a hint of green. There is always dead vegetation down low so it's a good base color. No blacks, no white. If there's snow, I use the white vet wrap or camo tape they sell. It not only provides the white, it gives texture to the camo and helps with shadows. Very important to really blend in.