PDA

View Full Version : Anyone convert a 12BVSS to magazine feed?

tommyo
12-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I have an accutrigger 12 BVSS in .223. It has the standard top load "magazine". Is it a big deal to convert it to a removable magazine? How is it done? What parts are needed?

Thanks
Tom

82boy
12-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Depends on what type of action you have, in 2006 Savage switched the magazine styles from a "stagged feed" to a "center feed." Either way it can be converted.

If you have a newer center feed action you will need to either replace the stock to one inletted for the detachable magazine, or have you stock sent off to a gunsmith and inletted for the parts. You would need the bottom metal, and a cap for the magazine and you would be done. SSS has all the parts to do this, and can inlet your stock. You can also buy all the parts from savage.

If you have the older stagged feed action, you would be better off buying a donor rifle to strip the parts off of, and you would still need to do a bunch of work to the stock. In short it is not worth messing with, you would be better off buying a new gun with the detachable magazine.

tommyo
12-27-2009, 02:14 PM
How can I tell if I have center feed or staggered?

82boy
12-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Easiest way is the magazine box attached to the action or to the stock? The other way is what is the bolt spacing of the action, from center to center?