PDA

View Full Version : Barska Point Black .223 6-24 and my Axis.

HANDYANDY
10-02-2012, 12:00 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img716/4056/20121001215046.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img28/6436/20121001215113.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img507/5604/20121001215141.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img255/1984/20121001221437.jpg

So, here's the deal.... I know all the sayings that go along with the daunting task of purchasing a scope. Cry once and buy the good scope, you get what you pay for, your gun is only as good as the glass. In some ways these sayings can be true. I used to shoot marksman rifles every day, and I was paid to be good at it. Now I shoot as a hobby, and while I still have good taste in quality equipment and weapon systems, Uncle Sam isn't footing the bill for my toys anymore. I've turned knobs on Shmidt Bender scopes, and taken shots while looking through the eye bell of a Leo MK 4., and I loved every single shot. Some might think that after using those optic systems, you may never be able to look through a lesser scope and not cringe, I tend to disagree. I bought this scope on Amazon for 69.99 used, and it should have been 169.99. I really did it more on a whim, since I already have a Bushnell XLT 3-9 Mil dot. Which is a **** fine scope by the way! Anyways, I just thought I'd buy one of these dreaded Barska scopes and see if all these horror stories stack up. I guess I'll have to buy another one to find out, because this scope is not bad at all. It has the BDC dials that you can use for different bullet weights, and I'll be honest with you, I didn't even use them. I zeroed, reset my turrets, and cranked those knobs like a pepper grinder. The first test I ran was the box test, and to be completely honest, I've box tested Nikon scopes that did worse than this one did. I didn't get a chance to get any pictures up because it was after work, and getting dark, and I left my phone in the truck. I'm going out again this weekend and I'll give a full workup on loads, box test, groupings at 100 and 200 m, and probably a little video as well. This scope also has an illuminated reticle, which I winced about at first, but it was actually a really nice one. there was no edge ghosting, flooding, or any of the other problems that you usually get with a cheap illuminated optic. I ran the mag from 6-24, making stops along the way to take shots and check for changes in point of aim, and I didn't find a one. I know this may sound crazy, and contrary to most of the stories you've read, or maybe experiences you've had personally, but I have to say this is a solid piece of kit, and I wouldn't be afraid to use it on out to 600 m. Maybe even further. All in all I'm very glad I bought this scope, and it's on the do not sell list, purely because I am so impressed and happy with it. The finish, and build quality are no better or worse than any run of the mill Simmons, Bushnell, or Weaver scope you have ever seen, and it also carries a little bit of heft to it. My closing statement will be this. There is nothing better than ranging, doping your math, turning your clicks, squeezing the trigger and hearing that steel ring back at 400 m on the first shot. I was able to do it with this scope, and that's why it's a winner in my book.

Stay Frosty.

Andy

M.O.A.
10-02-2012, 01:47 AM
And the best thing is it was only $70 bucks ;-) I have had a pretty good time with my 6-24X50 mil-dot varmint barska so far and for the money it could fall apart tomorrow and I would still be happy ;-)

HANDYANDY
10-02-2012, 11:32 AM
And the best thing is it was only $70 bucks ;-) I have had a pretty good time with my 6-24X50 mil-dot varmint barska so far and for the money it could fall apart tomorrow and I would still be happy ;-)

I agree completely! I'm really happy with the way it performs.

M.O.A.
10-02-2012, 04:03 PM
I have had mine going on two years now and a about 500 rounds still holds zero and boxes back to zero.

fla9-40
10-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Which model is the Barska do you have there Andy?

HANDYANDY
10-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Which model is the Barska do you have there Andy?

Mine is the Point Black 6-24 IR version, and it's a pretty sweet piece of glass for the money you pay.

HANDYANDY
10-02-2012, 09:33 PM
I have had mine going on two years now and a about 500 rounds still holds zero and boxes back to zero.

That's really fantastic, I hope I have the same continued luck with this one.

fgw_in_fla
10-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Hey MOA - that 6-24x varmint you have is the same scope I joke about & I bought mine as a combo package with a spotter scope & the varmint scope.
Yes, it is cheap glass. Yes, it doesn't "see" well at max mag. Yes, it's cloudy on hi mag unles you are directly in line with it. No, I will not get rid of it.

I've shot some of my tightest groups with it & joke about it frequently. The fact that I paid $79 + shipping for both - scope & spotter & it's a good, usable scope.

I don't know if I'd put my faith in it if my butt was on the line, but I sure have had alot of fun with it.

By the way, mine is sitting on top of my 7-08. I've had it on everything EXCEPT a 30.06. I don't think it could handle the recoil...

Andy - good luck with the new toy. Here's hoping it fares as well as my 2.5 yr old varmint scope & gives you many hours of good shooting.

Frank in Fla

HANDYANDY
10-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Hey MOA - that 6-24x varmint you have is the same scope I joke about & I bought mine as a combo package with a spotter scope & the varmint scope.
Yes, it is cheap glass. Yes, it doesn't "see" well at max mag. Yes, it's cloudy on hi mag unles you are directly in line with it. No, I will not get rid of it.

I've shot some of my tightest groups with it & joke about it frequently. The fact that I paid $79 + shipping for both - scope & spotter & it's a good, usable scope.

I don't know if I'd put my faith in it if my butt was on the line, but I sure have had alot of fun with it.

By the way, mine is sitting on top of my 7-08. I've had it on everything EXCEPT a 30.06. I don't think it could handle the recoil...

Andy - good luck with the new toy. Here's hoping it fares as well as my 2.5 yr old varmint scope & gives you many hours of good shooting.

Frank in Fla

I plan on having quite a bit of fun with it. It's sitting on top of my axis right now, and doing quite well. I'm trying a little project and collecting data along the way to see how far I can stretch the .223 distance and accuracy wise for the least amount of coin. I like the Axis a lot, and I'm looking forward to taming it with some stock work. Other than the stock and the trigger, it's a fine weapon, and I'm happy I got it. I find myself waffling with selling the axis, and buying a Stevens .223 in order to do this little science project of mine a little better justice, but I heard the stock for that rifle is just as bad. Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure it out, and enjoy the journey along the way. I'm glad to hear that your Barska scope is doing well, I feel like I beat the system, or found a secret by getting a scope for that cheap that shoots this well! Even at full power it's still capable of a pretty clear image with some adjustment. If you've got some advise or suggestions, please flip them my way! Thanks again,

Andy

M.O.A.
10-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Frank mines not hazy at Max power it works as it should from 6 to 24 ;-)

fgw_in_fla
10-03-2012, 12:20 AM
ANdy - it feels good the have a cheapo scope that you can shoot sub-moa thru.... doesn't it?

Feels like you beat the system is right. Except for that dreaded day when it all goes south & it stops doing what it's supposed to. I believe a fit & proper burial would be in order...

MOA - you got lucky! You must've got "the good one". Either that or they started buying their glass from someone else...

Frank in Fla

Underdog
10-03-2012, 11:32 AM
HandyAndy, can you tell me about your "rail" that you have your scope mounted on? I have a problem getting good eye relief on my axis 223 as it is a long action design. I think a scope rail might help me. Does yours help you move the scope rearwards over the stock bases?

HANDYANDY
10-03-2012, 12:56 PM
HandyAndy, can you tell me about your "rail" that you have your scope mounted on? I have a problem getting good eye relief on my axis 223 as it is a long action design. I think a scope rail might help me. Does yours help you move the scope rearwards over the stock bases?
It sure does. I got it off ebay by searching axis scope base. It was 19.00 dollars shipped. It fits tight, and works great. It's a Weaver brand, so it's solid. I hope this helps.
Andy

fgw_in_fla
10-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Ya know Andy - the longer I look at thet scope, the more I like it. It reminds me of a SightMark scope I had that I recently traded in at SWFA for another Vortex.

They do look really cool with the covers & ill. reticle control. Someday someone's going to have to explain to me what that's for. I've taken a scope & rifle outside several times during sunset & peeked thru it while it was getting darker. I click on the illumination thingie & all it does is cause my night vision to go back to "light in my eyes" vision.

Are those things really worth it?

Frank in Fla

Underdog
10-03-2012, 01:40 PM
It sure does. I got it off ebay by searching axis scope base. It was 19.00 dollars shipped. It fits tight, and works great. It's a Weaver brand, so it's solid. I hope this helps.
Andy

Thanks Andy, I just ordered one from EGW. It was $39.00 and I hope it helps move my scope 1" rearward. I'm using an inexpensive centerpoint 4-16x40 with AO on my axis, it holds zero and it's bright and clear. So far so good.

mattm0812
10-03-2012, 01:41 PM
The new loophole scope!

HANDYANDY
10-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Ya know Andy - the longer I look at thet scope, the more I like it. It reminds me of a SightMark scope I had that I recently traded in at SWFA for another Vortex.

They do look really cool with the covers & ill. reticle control. Someday someone's going to have to explain to me what that's for. I've taken a scope & rifle outside several times during sunset & peeked thru it while it was getting darker. I click on the illumination thingie & all it does is cause my night vision to go back to "light in my eyes" vision.

Are those things really worth it?

Frank in Fla
I haven't messed with the IR, and I probably never will. It's dynamite for gongs and range work so far, though. I'm really happy with it.

HANDYANDY
10-05-2012, 12:03 AM
EGW makes some really nice stuff, I've used it while helping some friends put together some killer custom 700 sticks. I think you'll be very happy with the quality and performance of it. Did you get the regular level, or the plus 20?

Andy

Underdog
10-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Just the regular, my local range is only 150yds.