PDA

View Full Version : what scope best for savage 11/111

Pages : [1] 2

RogerH
09-30-2012, 03:49 PM
looking to upgrade scope for my new hunter xp dont care for the bushnell3x9x40 . any thoughts on 3x9x50

nsaqam
09-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Without a doubt I'd be getting the Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 Firefly reticle. With the $75 rebate you'll be into the scope for under $170.

Hard to find a better scope at twice that price and some three times the price aren't as good.

Long too so it's easy to mount on a LA Savage.

kevin_stevens
09-30-2012, 07:10 PM
That's a good buy. How did you know about the rebates - I can't find a list of them on the Bushnell site?

KeS

kevin_stevens
09-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Never mind, found it here:

http://www.bushnell.com/global/promotions/rifle-and-spotting-scope-rebate

Tx!

KeS

RogerH
10-01-2012, 10:34 AM
wish i knew what bushnell scope that came with the XP package it doesnt say on it .

nsaqam
10-01-2012, 10:43 AM
A cheap one.
The Elite is in an entirely different league.

RogerH
10-01-2012, 11:53 AM
well i measured the leagth and its 12.6 and as per the specifications the elite is that long so i dont know

nsaqam
10-01-2012, 01:00 PM
IIRC it is a Bushnell Banner.

Not even close to the Elite.a

RogerH
10-01-2012, 01:36 PM
well the legth is shorter on the baner
the banner is much shorter

Admin
10-01-2012, 02:38 PM
You know the Bushnell scopes in the blister pack you can buy at Wally Mart and K-Mart for $30? There ya go! Think they were from the original Trophy or Legend series that's no longer listed on their website (not Trophy XLT or Legend Ultra HD - those are new and completely different).

Banner 3-9x is a good scope for around $100 or so, but nothing spectacular as the price indicates.
Old Elite 3200 3-9x was one of the best buys out there for optics at around $200. Maybe see if you can find a left-over at a local dealer.

Other good 3-9x options that won't break the bank are:

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm - $200
Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm - $230
Sightron SII 3-9x42mm - $250
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40mm - $200
Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40mm - $200

For me, the $200 price point for a 3-9x is where you start getting good quality and value for your money. Anything cheaper and you usually get just that - cheap glass that's fuzzy, blurry, milky, fogs easily, etc. and/or the build quality just isn't there. Better to spend a little more once than a little less several times.

davemuzz
10-01-2012, 05:10 PM
What you should do is update your status to a PAID MEMBER, and then you could see that I have a Leupold VX-II 4-12X 50MM for sale RIGHT NOW on the member for sale forum that is only a tad bit more (or it could be if you made me a reasonable offer) than what Jim listed for "lesser" scopes.

Dave :)

fgw_in_fla
10-01-2012, 05:13 PM
Maybe you'd like a nice 6 - 24x 44mm Barska?

I happen to have one in good condition. Good condition for now, anyway.....

Frank in FLa

davemuzz
10-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Maybe you'd like a nice 6 - 24x 44mm Barska?

I happen to have one in good condition. Good condition for now, anyway.....

Frank in FLa

Frank!!!.....Your cuttin into my territory here!! I was first.....Nah nah nah nah nah nah!!!

nsaqam
10-01-2012, 05:47 PM
You know the Bushnell scopes in the blister pack you can buy at Wally Mart and K-Mart for $30? There ya go! Think they were from the original Trophy or Legend series that's no longer listed on their website (not Trophy XLT or Legend Ultra HD - those are new and completely different).

Banner 3-9x is a good scope for around $100 or so, but nothing spectacular as the price indicates.
Old Elite 3200 3-9x was one of the best buys out there for optics at around $200. Maybe see if you can find a left-over at a local dealer.

Other good 3-9x options that won't break the bank are:

Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm - $200
Leupold VX-1 3-9x40mm - $230
Sightron SII 3-9x42mm - $250
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40mm - $200
Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40mm - $200

For me, the $200 price point for a 3-9x is where you start getting good quality and value for your money. Anything cheaper and you usually get just that - cheap glass that's fuzzy, blurry, milky, fogs easily, etc. and/or the build quality just isn't there. Better to spend a little more once than a little less several times.

Yeah, I had a feeling I was being generous saying it was the Banner!!

You simply will not find a better scope for the money than the 3-9x40 Elite I mentioned. Even without the $75 rebate it simply won't happen.

fgw_in_fla
10-01-2012, 06:29 PM
I'd think twice before buying a Banner especially from Walfart. I have 2 of them & both of them are in the back storage area (undecided junk storage - keep or trash). Both did not survive recoil & weekend use on a .270 & .243 over 3 months. The first one, the reticle turned 45 degrees, the second - the elevation control stopped elevating.
The scope with the variable angle reticle went back to Bushnell & came back in two weeks. 15 shots later, reticle started turning. Each time you send something in for warranty, it costs $15 for shipping & handling. The second never made it back to Bushnell.

One of the several reasons why I've grown to really, really like Vortex. The warranty is incredible!!!...

I may have been lucky enough to buy two scopes made on a Monday by the same guy....

Dave - you can't compete offering him that crappy 'ol Leupold when I have a high quality , crystal clear glass, accurate Barska....

AHHhhh heck, I couldn't part with it anyway. We have a history together & I may just put it in my last will & testament. I'm sure one of my kids would like it.

Frank in Fla

davemuzz
10-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Frank.....I do own a Barska.....It's on my BB gun.....'nuff said. :)

M.O.A.
10-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Hay frank I'm going to set up a replay of hathcocks shot though the scope with my barska when I get a new vortex to replace it ha ha ha

fgw_in_fla
10-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Are you trying to hurt my feelings by making fun on my Barska??

Forget it.

I'd have to have feelings for that to happen.

Ya know, It's odd you'd mention Carlos Hathcock. We were talking about him on Saturday (I think). He's quite the legend within the sniper community or was back thru the 70's & 80's or so.
You gotta admit, that was quite a shot.
But I really don't know about making that shot thru a Barsaka unless it's on the recieving end.

Frank in Fla

M.O.A.
10-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Frank.....I do own a Barska.....It's on my BB gun.....'nuff said. :)

A BBC gun is probably the worst thing it can be on reverse recoil and all ;-)

M.O.A.
10-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Are you trying to hurt my feelings by making fun on my Barska??

Forget it.

I'd have to have feelings for that to happen.

Ya know, It's odd you'd mention Carlos Hathcock. We were talking about him on Saturday (I think). He's quite the legend within the sniper community or was back thru the 70's & 80's or so.
You gotta admit, that was quite a shot.
But I really don't know about making that shot thru a Barsaka unless it's on the recieving end.

Frank in Fla

Yap still a legacy. And I meant I'm going to shoot the barska just to see what happens ;-)