PDA

View Full Version : Dreaming of a great Savage gift to give

300magman
12-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Today is Christmas and I'm finding myself temporarily anchored to the couch by a belly full of 3lbs of turkey, so I thought I would post up a little thread here about the perfect gift to give myself.

Here is the premise, if you were to give yourself One Repeating Rifle to use for both varmint hunting (stalking/walking, not laying in a gopher town) and for 600 yard matchs how would you build that rifle.

Here are the premises to limit our imaginations:
Varmint caliber = 22-250 or 22-250 ai
Target caliber = 308win
Budget = $1500-2000 for the rifle itself and extra barrel (Not including optics, rest, bipod, rings, etc)
Rifle must Not be single shot

Throw in your choice stock, barrel, action, trigger, bolt, gunsmithing options, all the goodies you can squeeze in there...and watch as someone else pics your baby apart or congratulates you on the perfect build with thier next post.

And here's hoping everyone is having a great christmas!

pdog06
12-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Well, you could start off with exactly what you need in a LRPV repeater in 22-250 and just buy the extra 308 barrel, but I guess that dont mke this thread so fun does it :D..It would make a great choice if you are shooting a factory class competition though.

I'm too full of Ham now to type, but I'll get back to ya ;)

dcloco
12-25-2009, 05:01 PM
We are patiently waiting for our oldest daughter to arrive....in another 4-5 hours.

I like the 222 AI (223 AI Long or Super Duece) with a 1:8 twist barrel to shoot the 75 & 80 gr bullets at 3150 fps. Just neck up 204 brass and go shooting!

Mine wears a light varmint Shilen Select Match stainless barrel at 28" in length. Bedded the combo in a Duramax stock specifically so this rifle will be carried for the conditions you described in your post.

lwink
12-26-2009, 01:02 AM
I would consider a 243 or 243 AI and skip the extra barrel for now, put another 300 on your scope? Model 12 stainless short action with SSS trigger, B&C Medalist Tactical or similar, do some work for DBM and get the SSS extended mag! That would all come in with scope and harris s model bipod under your cost. Just another option for you to think about!

300magman
12-26-2009, 01:32 AM
The caliber suggestions are good...I'd love to use a single .243 caliber for both purposes but competition rules and varmint hunting rules dictate the calibers be 308win and anything .224 in diameter respectively so no other options are viable. :'(

lwink
12-26-2009, 02:07 AM
The caliber suggestions are good...I'd love to use a single .243 caliber for both purposes but competition rules and varmint hunting rules dictate the calibers be 308win and anything .224 in diameter respectively so no other options are viable. :'(

I see, didn't realize you were looking at formal competition. Well I guess two barrels is mandatory then :) Still stand by my model 12 stainless action with SSS trigger, and look at Northlander's shilen barrels if you want to get shooting right away. I just ordered a stockade stock as well, which are talked about very highly but will be a 4 month wait. If you're not in a hurry check them out.

82boy
12-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Well to start I would use a old style pre target accu-trigger right bolt left eject action, bought out of the classifieds, or from Northland, Send it to SSS have a right ejection port cut. I would prefer this because it has smaller ports, than the newer gun, and tighter tolerances, than the new dual port.

I would have the action timed and trued, have them install a competition accu-trigger, I would have them chamber a Brux barrel, use one of there recoil lugs, and place the whole works into one of their dogtraker stocks. (I think I would go black black green in color, this color is amazing and not very popular.)

Now on caliber choice, I would easily pick a 22/250 any day over a 308 for any use. I feel that there is a ton of better rounds than a 308. If it was my build I would not pick either round. I would pick either a 6BR or a 6x47 lapua. Both rounds are excellent long range target calibers, ( Look at the IBS records) and work well on varmints. Between the two I would pick the 6x47 lapua. Either way it would be a 8 twist barrel. If it was a 6br it would be cut at 26 in, and if it was a 6x47L it would be cut at 29 in.

I would have a Ken Farrell 0 MOA base, (Don't need a 20MOA on the flat shooting 6mm, with a scope with some adjustment.) a set of Burris signature rings, since you have placed a 2k cap on it I would use a Vortex Crossfire 8-32 scope. The gun can be built and will preform well. Without the cap, and if I was made of money the only difference would be I would use a Nightforce scope.