PDA

View Full Version : I intend to have the nicest Savage hunting rifle ever built!

Pages : [1] 2

nsaqam
09-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Big claim and surely one to be disputed by some but for me this rifle will be Savage perfection.

I'll be starting with a LH SS Savage 116 flat back long action. I'll install a Tubb Speedlock 100% titanium FP with a uprated spring. It'll have my own bolt lift device and a Stockade 5/8" handle. I'll also machine a new BAS. It has a Gunrunners aluminum follower with an uprated W-spring. My worked and sweet two screw will provide fire control and it'll be paired with a PT&G Remington 700 ADL aluminum triggerguard.
Weight complete with everything included above plus the SSS recoil lug is 2# 3.5oz.

The barrel is a SS Rock Creek 8 twist, 5R cut rifled tube in their #2 Sporter contour. It'll be threaded nutless and will have a SSS recoil lug.
The chamber will be the 6mm-284 cut with a match chamber, necked no-turn, and throated specifically for the 115 Berger H-VLD at an OAL of 3.097" which will provide one caliber of shank/neck contact. The barrel will be cut and crowned at 24".
Weight complete is 2# 8oz.

The stock will be the superb McMillan Hunter's EDGE, black with grey speckles. Inlet precisely for this build and the ADL triggerguard. It'll have a blind magazine of course. 13.5" LOP.
Weight 1# 6oz.

The mounts will be the 1.4oz Talley LW low ringmounts and the scope will likely be the 9.3oz Leupold VX-2 Ultralight 3-9x33.
Weight complete is 10.7oz.

This puts me at 6# 12.2oz. I'm estimating the finished barrel weight as the barrel I'm weighing at 2# 14oz is still 26" long and it's not chambered or threaded yet. No matter how I look at it the rifle will come in comfortably under 7# and under 7.5# with a full magazine and an Uncle Mike's Mountain sling.

The stock was ordered a month or so ago but all the other parts are here.

When it's done I'll proudly post it in the Rifle Builds section here for hopeful inclusion onto the front page.

What a fun project this one is and I learned a lot from my previous Savage/McMillan which I used to inform my decisions on this build.

drybean
09-29-2012, 11:20 PM
LOL i always thought mine were!
good luck on your build & i hope you are correct

drybean

fgw_in_fla
09-29-2012, 11:46 PM
It'll be wayy too nice to want to shoot. You're not gonna get it dirty, are you?

stangfish
09-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Can't wait to see it!

nsaqam
09-30-2012, 12:23 AM
It'll be wayy too nice to want to shoot. You're not gonna get it dirty, are you?

This is going to be an easy carrying, rough and tumble hunting rifle and it'll collect it's share of honest bruises.

Believe me, I want to shoot it already!

As a matter of fact I'll probably put this into a tupperware stock I have sitting around just to try the thing out while waiting for the EDGE to arrive.

M.O.A.
09-30-2012, 01:19 AM
LOL the funny thing here is I got a brand new thumbhole stock for my build and right out of the box I drop a wrench right on it wow was I ticked but my dad told me how to use a iron to pull the ding out ;-)

yorketransport
09-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Sounds great. It's nice to see some lite weight hunting guns. I love a nice mid weight varmint/bench gun, but a hunting rifle in the 7# range is just perfect. I have a 20" barreled 358 Win which is currently 8# 2oz ready to hunt and I want to put it on a diet to get it closer the 7# mark.

Andrew

JackinSD
09-30-2012, 12:46 PM
It can't be "that" nice. It's a lefty! LOL

nsaqam
09-30-2012, 12:50 PM
It can't be "that" nice. It's a lefty! LOL

To be this nice it HAS to be a lefty!

rusty815
09-30-2012, 01:07 PM
You know, I am planning a build very similar to yours, on a 110 long action with a Mcmillan Edge stock and leupold ultralight, Stockade bolt handle and a lift kit. Difference is that mine will have a Rifle Basix trigger, no Tubb's firing pin or remington ADL triggerguard, and a slightly heavier Benchmark #3 contour 24" 284 barrel. I was shooting at around 7 1/2 pounds, but it might be a few ounces heavier.

nsaqam
09-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Rusty, you may wish to look into the ADL TG as the regular Savage TG doesn't work well with the PG of the McMillan stock.

McMillan will sell you a modified Savage TG but I think there are more options when going with the ADL TG.

ellobo
09-30-2012, 06:05 PM
To me the ideal hunting rifle is one that shoots sub-MOA and whose stock fits me. Ugly or heavy, I don't give a rats arse. After five yrs in the field a purty rifle ain't purty anymore. Its just another rifle. I will bet my rifles will shoot right alongside any and cost me 1/5 as much. Being frugal (often called "cheap") has its rewards. Especially with Savages.

El Lobo

nsaqam
09-30-2012, 06:19 PM
I ain't worried a bit about how it looks. If I did care I'd have it CM polished to 600 grit, rust blued and lovingly inlet into exhibition grade Bastogne walnut whittled by a master and checkered by a god.
This will be a basic SS/synthetic hunting rifle made with some of the best components and put together by a great 'smith. As I said, it'll get beat up and bruised.
As can be inferred from my build sheet my idea of a perfect hunting rifle is one which I can carry in my two hands all day long while traversing hill and dale, swamp and brush, and still do stand duty if I deign to climb into a stand.
The most accurate rifle in the world isn't worth a plug nickel if it's on your shoulder when that bruiser buck makes his fleeting appearance.
I expect the rifle here to be easily sub-MOA but frankly the only accuracy I really care about is an absolutely consistent first and second shot to POA each and every time.

nsaqam
09-30-2012, 06:27 PM
There is also something called pride of ownership and a tupperware stocked, factory or low end aftermarket prefit barreled rifle doesn't provide that for me, no matter how well it shoots.

cgeorgemo
10-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Pride of ownership? No matter how well it shoots?
I think we buy rifles for different reasons..
I hope you like your new Savage as much as you anticipate liking it.
I'd just buy a Lightweight Hunter and call it a day but meh. It's your money and I support your decision to spend it.

nsaqam
10-01-2012, 06:16 AM
The Lightweight Hunter is light done wrong in nearly every single way which matters to me.
Short barrel, milled up action, walnut stock with holes, CM, etc. Not to mention no LH models.

A rusty, dented Porsche 911 could likely perform as well as a pristine one but I'd take a whole bunch more pride and joy from the nice one.

cgeorgemo
10-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Okay the no lefty option I can understand.

rusty815
10-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I also think the LWH is a gorgeous rifle, if they made a lefty I would have bought that and just rebarreled it instead of building my own, but alas this is what I have to do. I am building mine (detailed a bit in post #10) because I dont have a lightweight, mild recoiling (compared to my 300wsm and 7mag) rifle.

ellobo
10-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Nasquam, hope I didn't sound like I was denigrating your design, I wasn't. Just saying what fits me for a hunting rifle. Its a case of "whatever floats your boat". For about 30 yrs I hunted with an FN commercial Mauser actioned, gold and silver mounted rifle i bought in the white for $75, made a walnut stock for, browned the metal to a dark almost blue, hand checkered the stock and went hunting. It has all the beauty marks the woods here in NH could give it and now sits proudly in a rack, probably never to hunt again. And it has a few marks on it from hunting Pennsylvania up near Mansfield State College back in the 80's

El Lobo

nsaqam
10-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Nasquam, hope I didn't sound like I was denigrating your design, I wasn't. Just saying what fits me for a hunting rifle. Its a case of "whatever floats your boat". For about 30 yrs I hunted with an FN commercial Mauser actioned, gold and silver mounted rifle i bought in the white for $75, made a walnut stock for, browned the metal to a dark almost blue, hand checkered the stock and went hunting. It has all the beauty marks the woods here in NH could give it and now sits proudly in a rack, probably never to hunt again. And it has a few marks on it from hunting Pennsylvania up near Mansfield State College back in the 80's

El Lobo

No worries El.

Although I admire you retiring your Mauser to a place of honor I also feel that a FN commercial Mauser action is at it's best when slaying stuff smoothly and reliably. That is one great action.