PDA

View Full Version : Does Savage properly torque down Accustock when shipped from factory?

wahoowad
09-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Just curious is Savage torques down the Accustock screws (hopefully the way the manual states) when they assemble/ship from factory? I checked my new weather warrior today and found the front screw loose around 18 in-lbs, rear seemed Ok as I torqued it down going back and forth.

thomae
09-27-2012, 09:11 PM
I guess you answered your own question.

"Trust, but verify."

wahoowad
09-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Not necessarily. If they are good with their QA and always do it, then perhaps mine came loose. Mine is a couple weeks old and I've had 2 range trips with about 130 shots down the barrel. I didn't know if that could loosen it up? Part of why I was asking.

I checked my manual and am surprised to see they do not recommend the same torque sequence for my version-2 Accustock (no wedge) as they do for my version-1 Accustock. I thought I should be following the same alternating tightening sequence up to 40 in-lbs....but it doesn't say to do that. It just says tighten the front, then the rear. No torque rating.

Is 40 in-lbs still the right amount of torque for my ver-2 Accustock? I do prefer using my torque wrench and being consistent.

devildogandboy
09-27-2012, 09:54 PM
i bought an model 16 in 308 back about 2 years ago. 1st trip to range i was all excited about the new gun with the "accu-stock" and after 15-20 rounds was highly disappointed in the thing. when i got home i cleaned it as always and noticed the barrel was hitting hard on the right side against the stock, thought that shouldn't be so i removed the action from the stock and found nothing wrong anywhere. put the action back in the stock and noticed the barrel wasn't hitting the stock any longer. i believe the "wedge" wasn't properly seated and mated with the recoil lug. torqued everything done as it should be and can't be happier with it!!
i think IMO that Savage's quality control needs much improvement!

Ishooter
09-28-2012, 12:12 PM
I just got a Savage this year and couldn't get better than 1.5" group. Got on site here and was told to reseat the stock. Now I get .5 to 1" groups. I can get the 1" groups with not to much trying. The .5 I have to work at. You all have a great day.

tobnpr
09-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Do like Stan Pate...
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/01/tuning-savage-actions-using-action-screw-torque-settings/