PDA

View Full Version : 111 blew up at the range today

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

jonbearman
10-17-2012, 12:42 PM
I cant wait to hear what the real problem was.I hope that savage releases that imfo to the op.

sharpshooter
10-17-2012, 03:23 PM
The real problem was a bore obstruction, plain and simple. No matter whether it was a patch,a bullet, or something else, that's what Savage will say, and that will be the last word. They will not spend an excessive amount to time doing research or try to re-create the situation.

csam
10-19-2012, 06:11 PM
How many time you hear someone say I don't need eye protection? Glad you are still able to type to tell us about it, and that no one got hurt.

sixonetonoffun
10-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Took my girls out shooting last weekend and made them take out the bolt to check the barrel before shooting. I think this thread inspired me to place emphasis on safety. It meant more to them actually doing it even though they were taught (Be sure the barrel is free of obstructions!) in Hunters Safety. Giving them some examples of what an obstruction could actually be and what a clean barrel should look like. Then we shot up a 100 rounds at splat silhouettes, rubber gophers and spinners. Tomorrow my adult son is bringing his Mosin 91/30 over to shoot for the first time should be a hoot.

FUBAR
10-20-2012, 04:35 AM
A patch in the right place could work as a "gas check" to build pressure.... My guess is that there was a patch close to the chamber--pressure would increase as the bullet traveled the bore and the over pressure finally released!

The discoloration prior to the failure appears to support this type of theory....

I admit one might shoot 100 errant patches out with no notice, but it only takes one!

Nandy
10-22-2012, 04:05 PM
I dont understand the "missing patch" theory... How in the world do you clean an gun and dont realize your patch is missing?

FUBAR
10-22-2012, 05:30 PM
I don't understand how someone discharges an "unloaded" weapon, but it's done by professional soldiers more than people think....

Nandy
10-22-2012, 11:50 PM
I don't understand how someone discharges an "unloaded" weapon, but it's done by professional soldiers more than people think....

I dont think is it apples to apples there. I am cleaning a gun, I put a patch at the end of the cleaning rod and I dont notice the patch is gone... not making sense.

FUBAR
10-23-2012, 11:38 AM
There are people that shoot themselves cleaning an "empty" firearm, that they swear they checked. I don't see how anyone leaves a firearm in full battery! It happens, people make mistakes, that's the apples to apples...

Every thing we are saying here is pure speculation...

However, only pertaining to "My Theory": I still say it's easier to leave a patch in the tube than to leave a round in full battery!

I don't know if he looked down the tube after each pass with a light....

I don't know if there were two patches stuck together...

I don't know if he used a jag or eyelet, during cleaning...

The only other theories that makes sense so far, is the low powder/pressure one, but I think it was factory ammo, not hand loaded, and the defective barrel one (unlikely, and hard to prove that something else did not contribute)

The main point to all of this is "talk" is that we want the reason to be found.

Nandy
10-23-2012, 05:11 PM
I hear you, if it was not the patch I sure it was some aliens that weld the barrel shut. Have fun, Im off this one.

Blue Avenger
10-23-2012, 06:11 PM
refer to post #56!