PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint PRO

Admin
09-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Anyone have one? Just got the one I bought today and have the suspicion Midway sent me one that was previously returned. Box was basically open already (no plastic wrap or taped flap) and there were a few small scratches on the unit. Neither of those bothers me really, but I noticed the first five dot illumination settings do nothing...nada, zilch! Even with the front cap closed you won't see any hint of the dot until you get to the 6th setting and there's only 9 in total. Just curious if this is the norm for this model, if it's a sign of a weak battery, or if it's just flat-out defective. First Aimpoint so I'm in the dark here experience-wise.

Admin
09-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Really? No one else here has an Aimpoint PRO on one of their AR's? That's a shocker!

hafejd30
09-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Many illuminated sights designed for the AR platform are set up so the first few settings work only with night vision devices while the higher settings are for use without them. Aimpoint, EOtech, etc are set up this way. I have a 1-4 x 24 vortex viper pst that is set up the same way as well. First half of the dial adjustments are designed for night vision devices.

seanhagerty
09-27-2012, 09:19 PM
I would call Midway customer service and ask them about the box and scratches. I would also call aimpoint and ask them about the dot brightness on the questionable settings.

Admin
09-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Many illuminated sights designed for the AR platform are set up so the first few settings work only with night vision devices while the higher settings are for use without them. Aimpoint, EOtech, etc are set up this way. I have a 1-4 x 24 vortex viper pst that is set up the same way as well. First half of the dial adjustments are designed for night vision devices.

I'm aware of that, but 2/3rds of the settings set aside for night vision use? This models was specifically designed as a cheaper option for LEO departments and has a different LED arrangement than the more expensive Aimpoints, so I really can't see them devoting 2/3 of the settings to night vision when most LEO's don't have/can't afford NV...and if they have it it's reserved for SWAT.

As for the call in option, well...I'm hoping to avoid that as I've already spent more time on hold this week than I'd care to admit.