PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: Model 25

Bigman2
09-26-2012, 07:32 PM
First I would like to say hello to everyone! I bought my model 25 about 1.5 years ago. My rifle is chambered in 223 Rem. I have not been able to shoot the gun, because my wife has been sick for some time now. I am hoping to get to do more shooting soon, as she is doing somewhat better. My question is, when I try to pull up on the bolt to cycle the action, it is a little hard to do. Pulling the bolt back, pushing a new round into the gun and pushing the bolt back down is No problem, just lifting up on the bolt. Will this get easier after I have had a chance to run some rounds through the gun, in other words, breaking the rifle in? Any help will be very much appreciated..Thanks, Ray

Admin
09-26-2012, 09:23 PM
What you're feeling is a timing issue that pretty much all Savage's have, whether its an Axis, Model 25 or from the 110-family. What your feeling is resistance or binding of certain functions due to the interaction of different parts being out of time with one another.

Unfortunately there's really not much you can do about it at this point on the Model 25's. I know Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply retimes the 110 series, but he hasn't started offering a similar service for the Axis or Model 25's yet and he may never. It may get a little easier as the gun breaks in and some interacting surfaces wear into one another, but don't expect a miracle as most all these parts are surface hardened.

Bigman2
09-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for answering my post. I have several Savage rifles and this is the first one I have had this happen to. I have a real good Gunsmith, I might let him take a look at it and see what he says. Can't hurt....Ray

americanstrat98
12-02-2012, 05:07 PM
First off may I say, I hope that your wife will get better, and that you are well too. It's good to hear you are taking care of her and not escaping every weekend. Again, I hope you two will be alright.

For your Savage-
What you are feeling is normal. In the older rifles that haven't been shot much or cleaned much or even designed to be "smooth" this is normal.

By design, most newer savage's even the older model 40 is what we call a "Cock On Open" rifle. Meaning after you fire a round, lifting the bolt is what cocks the fire control group, ie the firing pin, mainspring, and sear contact. It is generally not a great idea to go filing away on the bolt body to relieve the pressure on opening, bc usually folks take it too far and it will result in the firing of the weapon in an unsafe condition.

I'm a very conservative machinist, and have been taught that way for a reason. The absolute best way to work in a bolt gun is simply, Work it in, meaning no lapping compound, no filing, no sand paper, just you, your bolt action in a comfortable chair and you work it in till it feels smoother, after you've cycled it a few hundred times, clean the contacts very well and apply some very light lubricant with a Q-tip and it will feel better.

Another reason to not mess with "Cock on Open" is the camming surface provided by the bolt to rear ring contact acts as your primary extraction. meaning if you fire the weapon, slowly lift the bolt, watch it travel rearward as you open the bolt, this initial rearward travel has a purpose. It is the rifles primary extraction, secondary extraction is the action caused by the shooter. primary's purpose is to remove thicker cases from tight chambers, dirty rounds ect ect. If you take off too much of this caming surface not only will you jeapordize the "COCK ON OPEN TIMING" of the fire control group, you also risk running into stuck cases.

Just a little info from shooter to shooter

Bigman2
12-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Americanstrat98,
Thanks so much for all the help. I am going to try and spend some time working with the rifle. Thanks Ray