PDA

View Full Version : Savage Sierra 7mm08

tjf76
09-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Looked at one of these at my friends shop today. Whats up with the Sierra on the bolt? is it something special? Its an older savage, flat back. Could I be safe to say 1/9.5 twist on this? Any info would be great

Admin
09-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Basically it's a Model 11 that was made as part of a special run for a major distributor or retailer. You'll find there are some that say "Savage 4x4" or "Sierra" or a few other oddities that I can't recall off the top of my head that have been made over the years. If dealers/retailers place a big enough order they can pretty much get any combination made that they want so long as it's comprised from off-the-shelf standard parts. There are even some distributors who will go all out and have their own customs stocks made (Talo Industries and their "Shark" stocks is a perfect example) and mate them to a standard Savage barreled action. Others (like Jerry's) might stick with a standard model with a laminate stock, but just request a different laminate color pattern be used (aka the "jakaranda" color BTV centerfire and rimfire models a few years ago).

tjf76
09-26-2012, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the info

Do you think its fair to say because of the flat rear its the better 1/9.5 twist?

Admin
09-26-2012, 04:18 PM
I honestly couldn't tell ya on that one. The flat-back actions disappeared in 2002-2003 when Savage introduced the AccuTrigger, so all I can say is that it's older than that. When they changed the twist rate on the 7mm-08 barrels I don't know.

thomae
09-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the info

Do you think its fair to say because of the flat rear its the better 1/9.5 twist?Only way to be certain is to take a cleaning rod and a tight fitting patch and measure it yourself. It's easy to do.

tobnpr
09-27-2012, 06:43 PM
I picked up an FM Sierra early this year for a build, just wanted the action...
While waiting for a barrel I couldn't resist playing...**** if that stubby factory 20" barrel wouldn't put all five 150 gr. SMK's with all holes touching at 100 yards (H4350, 2600 fps)
I don't hunt- but if I were looking for a lightweight (6 lbs if memory serves) mountain rifle I'd snatch it in a heartbeat.

tjf76
09-27-2012, 09:33 PM
It is a sweet rifle with the 20' barrel. Think I will go check the twist rate tomorrow. As long as its a 1/9.5 I think it may come home with me.