PDA

View Full Version : Speer 70 gr. SP deer load in .223 Rem.

John_M
09-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Rifle is Savage 10FP(?), 22" barrel, 9" twist, .015 "jump". Primers have been CCI 400 except Win 748 which used CCI 450. Have tried "jumps" of .010", .015", .020", .025" and settled on .015 as providing the tightest and most consistent groups. All 55gr - 65gr bullets from Sierra, Nosler and Hornady consistently provide 100 yd., 3 shoot groups in the .265" - .500" range using Varget. The rifle is very accurate for as long as I am "on" that day.

Powders I have tried with the 70 gr. Speer: Rl-15, Benchmark, TAC, H335, Win 748, Varget (limited use). Today I will return to Varget to examine if I may have made some initial errors with this powder.

After more than 100 trial rounds, I am unable to achieve groups smaller then ~1.0" with this bullet. Most groups are in the 1.0" to 1.5" range which is good enough for deer hunting. However I believe better accuracy is possible. The combination of Win 748 w/CCI 450 gave the best groups ~5/8" but that was only at excessive/dangerous pressure levels.

Deer season will soon be upon us and I am determined to use this bullet this season. Its structure, shape, and weight (and reviews) lead me to believe it will the a great choice for the combination of woods and open areas in my hunting vicinity.

If any readers have this same bullet/rifle combination and have achieved accuracy nirvana please reveal your secrret. Helpful suggestions from others will also be greatly appreciated.

Continued best wishes and good health to all.

thomae
09-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Bottom line up front. Not all bullets will shoot well in any specific rifle.
Since I don't know anything about how you go about developing a load, I certainly won't comment on that, except to say that over 100 rounds while working on load development with 5 different powders does not sound like a very large number (certainly not an excessive number) of rounds expended.
Persevere. You may find your accuracy node yet.
I don't mean to be negative, but it could also be that you are simply out of luck as far as pinpoint accuracy with the combination of that particular projectile, those particular powders, and your specific barrel.

John_M
09-26-2012, 11:59 AM
thomae, I fear you might be correct about the combinations I've tried so far. But, as you suggested, I will persevere with one or two additional powders. I am not yet quite ready to kowtow to the chemical gods of reloading.

irondog54
09-26-2012, 12:26 PM
I have used the 70gr on deer. I found that adjusting seating depths helped my groups. More often than not, loading with Win 748, a little longer was better. You have to see what your rifle likes.

Hint: take the max load in the loading book, use a calculator and multiply the charge by 85%. Work up from there, but I bet your groups are better already....

John_M
09-26-2012, 12:54 PM
irondog54, Thanks for the "seating depth" suggestion. Although I've already tried a "jump" of .010", I do not recall if that was with W748. I'll fiddle with that a little bit today in preparation for a full day at the range tomorrow or Friday.

irondog54
09-30-2012, 09:26 PM
How did your range day go??

John_M
10-01-2012, 12:33 PM
irondog, Re: Speer 70gr. SP: Had a great day at the 100 yds. range. Settled on 25.0 gr. Varget, Lapua brass, CCI400, at a "jump" of .015". Shot two, 3 shot groups of <3/8" and one-five shot group of <5/8". No signs of excessive pressure. Have since reloaded ten additional rounds, five each at .013" jump and five each at .017" jump. Will try these at the range once fair weather returns and winds are calm.

This load will then become my go-to favorite for this deer season.

Best wishes and good luck.