PDA

View Full Version : 375 Ruger

efm77
09-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Has anyone bought one of the new 375 Ruger models from Savage yet? If you have one, is it the small shank or large shank barrel? I've been trying to find a real photo of one other than what's on their website and can't seem to find one to be able to tell.

Apache
09-25-2012, 10:40 PM
I built one on a small shank long action with a McGowen barrel last year. Came out real nice.

Jim

yorketransport
09-25-2012, 11:12 PM
I imagine that they're small shank. If they were a large shank, long action I bet everyone would be buying them just to use as donor actions.

Andrew

efm77
09-26-2012, 05:48 AM
I'm not talking about building one, I'm talking about a factory rifle. I found one on Gunbroker with photos but they're a little dark. But from those photos it kinda looks like a large shank barrel nut on it. Has anyone actually seen one?

"If they were a large shank, long action I bet everyone would be buying them just to use as donor actions." Yep. One of the reasons I would want one. But if no one has seen them to know, then they won't be selling for that reason.

kevin_stevens
09-26-2012, 10:21 AM
The 116 .375 H&H is a large shank long action, so I'd think the Ruger is, too. It's shorter, but still a "long" cartridge. I don't know positively, though.

KeS

efm77
09-26-2012, 03:02 PM
What 375H&H are you looking at? All the 375H&H's I've seen were small shank. The H&H is a smaller diameter case than the Ruger. The Ruger case's whole diameter is the same as the belt on the H&H.

handirifle
09-28-2012, 02:47 AM
The 375 Ruger is the same length as the 30-06. Doesn't need the real long action that the H&H did. That's why Ruger developed the round to make it cheaper to build a rifle for it. The H&H Actions are longer.

efm77
09-28-2012, 07:43 AM
I know that. That's not what I'm asking. All I want to find out is if the rifles that Savage is making in the 375 Ruger chambering are large barrel shanks or small. When I was referring to the size of the cartridge I was talking diameter not length. The Ruger case is basically in between the belted mag case and the RUM case as far as diameter goes. That's why I could see them going either way with it as far as shank size goes. Again, has anyone seen one in person?

kevin_stevens
09-28-2012, 03:03 PM
What 375H&H are you looking at? All the 375H&H's I've seen were small shank. The H&H is a smaller diameter case than the Ruger. The Ruger case's whole diameter is the same as the belt on the H&H.

Yes, sorry, got it backwards again. I keep thinking "large shank, large nut" and it's the other way around. My H&H is a 7/8" barrel nut, therefore SMALL shank. No help.

KeS

efm77
09-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Right. The large shank nut is a larger inside diameter but shorter length than the small shank nut. No worries.