PDA

View Full Version : axis vs the model 11/111 hunter xp

RogerH
09-25-2012, 12:55 PM
I recently purchased a savage 243 the clerk told me it was the axis after i got shooting it and sighting with the bushnell scope .
that was "supossed to be bore sighted lol i believe its not its a hunter XP .can any one tell me about the hunter.
This is my first post here and my first savage. still forming an opinion. I shoot mostly hand guns ( Glock fan)
but getting back in to long rifle for hunting

jpdown
09-25-2012, 05:49 PM
The Savage Model 11 XP Hunter is basically a package rifle with a Bushnell Sharpshooter scope. It has a matte black finish with Savage standard SA and 22" sporter barrel, non-Accutrigger, side bolt release and older style rectangle safety. It has a Savage plastic (tupperware) stock with DBM cut-out a plastic centerfeed magazine assembly and cap used in the Axis and Savage 11 Light Weight Hunter. It should have a jeweled bolt with the Savage logo and Savage model 11 barrel markings if it is an XP hunter. The XP hunter is a good if you want to upgrade the stock, trigger and recoil lug with aftermarket parts that work with a Savage SA centerfeed action.

RogerH
09-26-2012, 03:40 PM
The Savage Model 11 XP Hunter is basically a package rifle with a Bushnell Sharpshooter scope. It has a matte black finish with Savage standard SA and 22" sporter barrel, non-Accutrigger, side bolt release and older style rectangle safety. It has a Savage plastic (tupperware) stock with DBM cut-out a plastic centerfeed magazine assembly and cap used in the Axis and Savage 11 Light Weight Hunter. It should have a jeweled bolt with the Savage logo and Savage model 11 barrel markings if it is an XP hunter. The XP hunter is a good if you want to upgrade the stock, trigger and recoil lug with aftermarket parts that work with a Savage SA centerfeed action.

so your saying IYO its a piece of crap

Admin
09-26-2012, 04:28 PM
so your saying IYO its a piece of crap

No, he's saying it's your base-model Savage 110 that's built to meet a price point. They have the cheaper no frills Hunter XP package rifles ($525 MSRP) and the better equipped Trophy Hunter XP package rifles ($745 MSRP) with a Nikon scope and the Accutrigger.

jpdown
09-26-2012, 06:40 PM
No, it a very good choice for those who want to upgrade/build on a Savage 10/110 action. There are currently no aftermarket stock options for the Axis. You are better off in the long run if you actually got the Hunter XP verses the Axis IMO. More aftermarket parts options and better resale value for the take-off parts since they have the Savage logo vs Stevens or Axis logo.

RogerH
09-27-2012, 01:31 PM
i do want a better scope the bushnel was really hard to sight in still not where i want it vevery body says good out of the box . had to get sheet of plywood to get it on the paper. was about 2 feet high at 100 yards what would you recomend for the best scope only want to do this once

mattm0812
09-27-2012, 01:41 PM
i do want a better scope the bushnel was really hard to sight in still not where i want it vevery body says good out of the box . had to get sheet of plywood to get it on the paper. was about 2 feet high at 100 yards what would you recomend for the best scope only want to do this once

Nikon makes great scopes for the money.

jpdown
09-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Depends on your budget. I'd go with a Vortex Viper and be done with it.

mattm0812
09-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Depends on your budget. I'd go with a Vortex Viper and be done with it.

That too.