PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for good quality 7mm'08 heavy sporter needed

JWK1
09-25-2012, 08:25 AM
I'll be hunting with my new Stevens in 308 this fall, but my plan is to get a 7mm'08 barrel for it after hunting season. I don't see a lot of options (if any) for a decent sporting type barrel. I would prefer something like EA Brown calls "magnum contour". I don't know if this is a Savage term or not. I'm also looking for something that doesn't have the typical oversized chamber. I find Remington and Savage to both have very "generous" chamber dimensions. I reload and would prefer to keep resizing to a minimum.

Hey, maybe there's nothing but factory chambers and match grade out there. I don't know. That's why I'm asking here. Anyone have any suggestions?

devildogandboy
09-25-2012, 10:00 AM
try Jim at Nothland Shooters Supply, he has 7mm-08 listed in heavy sporter.

fgw_in_fla
09-29-2012, 05:53 AM
3 weeks ago I picked up a Savage Factory sporter for $50 with shipping & it shoots excellent. The color isn't exactly what i wanted but I change barrels on regular occasion. I probably won't have it on there long enough to complain about it. Keep an eyeball on the classifieds. You may score something there.

Have a look in the "Axis / Edge" thread at the post I put up saying ->3 Reasons Why I Like My New 7-08 Edge<- There's a few pics of the rifle & the end result....

Good luck & happy barrel hunting.

Frank in Fla

va78
10-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Stockade.stocks.would.be.a good guy to talk to.. He has smithed many bad ass rifles with a stevens action

mattri
10-12-2012, 05:50 PM
You really need to talk with Jim at Nothland Shooters Supplies as mentioned before. His number is (763) 682-4296. His reputation, customer service and knowledge are 2nd to none. That being the case, he is also pretty busy, you may need to call a cple times and/or leave a message.

va78
10-12-2012, 05:57 PM
2nd to none? he is good no doubt but there are so many others.. Look around at other forums. Seems on this forum jim is god....dont be easily pursuaded by a very biased forum..jim is outstanding to work with but dont keep your blinders on..

mattri
10-12-2012, 06:20 PM
That's fair- no-one can make everyone happy all the time. FWIW I've had quite a few dealings with Jim at Northland, Kevin at Stockade and the folks at SSS. After more money and time than I care to admit I decided to never deal with SSS again. They have a pseudo great rep on this site, and ppl get blasted for saying anything even slightly critical about them but in the interest of full disclosure every single dealing that I had with them was a debacle. Its my own fault that I chased so much bad money with good, I blame no-one but myself. Kevin Rayhill has been great to deal with, very up front and honest, a craftsman with warranted pride in his work. I've said what I will about Jim, if I need a product he offers I buy it from him, every time. Sin Arms is another option and Devin has a great rep but I've never dealt with him personally. Best of luck whichever way you choose to go, Matt.

va78
10-12-2012, 06:26 PM
I agree..sharp shooter supply is thee worst service i have come across.. the quality of work and attention to detail absolutly sucks. I will never reccomend him to anybody....Ever!!!!!!!